🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » "Test" assignments that end up being just a f...
Page options
2e395a62
Community Member

"Test" assignments that end up being just a free work

Hi!
I'm pretty new to UpWork, but I have faced the following issue twice already. A Client is offering a translation job (or SEO rewriting job) and asks me to do some test work to ensure that I can handle the project. The scope of the "test" project is, in my opinion, too large. Nevertheless, as I want to land as many gigs as possible, I decided to give it a try and complete those "tests". As you may imagine, I have never heard from the Clients again. I believe what they do is just share parts of the work they need to be done among a few freelancers inexperienced enough and eager enough to land jobs. We (freelancers) complete these "test" assignments and bingo! - the task is completed totally for free. Is it common, or I just had a bit of bad luck?

12 REPLIES 12
ijlalzaidi786
Community Member

Hi Piotr,

you can flag that client and the moderator of the upwork will check the issue do not submit the work until the client pays you.

Ijlal, thanks for the response. I know the rules of not submitting the work without the contract, but this is a sort of "preliminary" test they run. I am quite surprised because both Clients were not the "no-name" clients - they do have a history on Upwork. Of course, there is a chance I did not pass these tests (I seriously doubt it) but even if this was the case, a short "thanks, sorry, you failed" would be expected. 

I'll do as you suggested and will expect to get back the lost contacts.

Thanks again!

Piotr

Piotr O wrote:

Ijlal, thanks for the response. I know the rules of not submitting the work without the contract, but this is a sort of "preliminary" test they run. I am quite surprised because both Clients were not the "no-name" clients - they do have a history on Upwork. Of course, there is a chance I did not pass these tests (I seriously doubt it) but even if this was the case, a short "thanks, sorry, you failed" would be expected. 

I'll do as you suggested and will expect to get back the lost contacts.

Thanks again!

Piotr

You mean connects?

You don't get them back. Clients are not allowed to ask for free work, you need to flag them. Of course it's up to you to never actually provide free work, but it will not get you suspended. Never do that! You are making the platform worse for everybody when you do that. Serious clients will offer a paid test. 

petra_r
Community Member

It is a violation of Upwork's terms of service for a client to ask for free work in form of a "test" or otherwise. If they want a "preliminary test" they can pay for a "preliminary test"...

Just don't do it. Flag the job post and move on.

2e395a62
Community Member

OK, understood, thank you. It's a pity the connects (sorry for naming it "contacts" in the previous post) are not coming back. I have flagged one of the clients, so we'll see. I just wanted to learn if this is a common thing to ask for free tests (and a legit practice) or not. 

Have a great Sunday,

Piotr

I think it's something you'll face a lot when you're new, it gets better when you have some experience on here. I did one once - never again!
sourceprouk
Community Member

It is common. I always refuse the tests. I tell them: You can see a long history of my work with ratings and a susbtantial portfolio of work.

Tell them this: Next time you need a repair on your car, take it to the garage and tell them you are not sure they can do the job so you offer them a test, for free, for them to do some of the repair then you will be able to see if they can do it. Expect car mechanic language starting with F and ending with F.

Hello, I have a potential client here and both of us do not wish to violate the ToS with regards to not doing a free test. The potential client is asking for a reference in the ToS document for her to verify which I am not able to find. Please can someone send a reference to the ToS clause? Thanks a ton in advance.

https://www.upwork.com/legal#prohibitedsite

The following are examples of uses that are prohibited on or when using the Services:

• Requesting or demanding free services, including requesting Freelancers to submit work as part of the proposal process for very little or no money or posting contests in which Freelancers submit work with no or very little pay, and only the winning submission is paid the full amount;

Thank you Preston & Petra!

Devayani:

You don't need a reference to Upwork's rules, because YOU HAVE YOUR OWN rules that state that you don't do free test work, and your rules supersede Upwork's rules in this matter.

petra_r
Community Member

Devayani G wrote:

Hello, I have a potential client here and both of us do not wish to violate the ToS with regards to not doing a free test. 

Why are you even going to and from with that client over this? 

First of all, you would not be violating the terms of service if you did a free test. (Just waste your time and hurt other freelancers by "training" clients to expect and ask for free work).

The client is already violating the terms of service by even asking.

Clients who insist on free work are clients you categorically don't want to work with. They have no respect for freelancers or their time at all! You don't want to work with clients like this.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members