cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: "The Aussie Voice" is dead. Long live "UX/UI designer who is fond of colors and a

Community Guru
Renata S Member Since: Jun 10, 2014
31 of 78

Petra R wrote:

In fairness, not even one of those "fond of colors and a quiet" profiles ever earned a single Dollar, and they are not "new" (3-ish months+)

But we don't really know what their purpose is. With the Aussie Voice profiles, they were set up by individuals who wanted to have profiles of their own. And we don't know how many Aussie Rules profiles were set up and changed without detection. 

Here, the absence of harm from the unused profiles doesn't really tell us the full story of whether or not harm is occurring. This might take the form of people buying and selling pre-approved profiles that are quickly changed to update their actual credentials. I imagine a profile with rising talent status would probably go for more than a regular one. If they're not doing that yet, there's certainly the potential for it going in that direction. I don't know why these ones are country specific. Some of the other are not. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
32 of 78

Renata S wrote:

Petra R wrote:

In fairness, not even one of those "fond of colors and a quiet" profiles ever earned a single Dollar, and they are not "new" (3-ish months+)

But we don't really know what their purpose is.

Yes. Exactly.

The mind boggles, I'd love to find the first one but I don't have the timme to trawl through 500 profiles.

Hopefully they'll all go "poof" in a timely manner.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Richard S Member Since: Mar 12, 2019
33 of 78

If Upwork is really serious about the importance of approval of applications from individuals to use the platform (and heaven knows it should be if it wants the business to succeed), it really needs to ask serious questions of itself as to how the profiles were allowed, and of the employees that did approve them. It's simply not good enough that it's been made aware of the issue by a user of the site.

Highlighted
Community Guru
34 of 78

Richard S wrote:

... and of the employees that did approve them. I

What "employees?"

You can't possibly think the majority of them are ever seen by "an employee?"

The program that does it needs to be programmed to search for dupes before approving profiles.

Or, better still, stop accepting new freelancers when the majority of them will never win a job anyway and there are already way, WAY more freelancers on the site than can be supported.

It's likely that these 500 profiles are just the tip of the iceberg.

Ela K wrote:

Renata S wrote:

[...}

And actually, I've been flagging guys with little green halos for months now. This is just the latest evolution in that trend. 

Does that mean you would flag my profile simply because my pic has a "little green halo"?

Because that green frame stands for ... what trend exactly?

Of course not. Take a minute and run a freelancer search for "UX/UI designer who is fond of colors and attractive designs"

You'll see what this thread is about. The green frame (which I think is great) is just something else they have in common.

Highlighted
Community Guru
35 of 78

Great job, Upwork. The UX/UI designers were all wiped out Smiley Happy

We now have a gaggle of Canadian React/Vue/Angular etc peeps. 49 and counting.

(1 is genuine. The rest are not)

Highlighted
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
36 of 78

The auto approval of profiles, the lack of copied overviews detection is doing lots of harm. Will Upwork learn eventually?

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
Highlighted
Community Guru
Maria T Member Since: Nov 12, 2015
37 of 78

Petra R wrote:

Great detective, Petra!

I think someone has fallen.
But there are still many Canadian professional full-stack developers Smiley Happy

Upwork, have they sneaked out the back door again?

Highlighted
Community Guru
38 of 78

Maria T wrote:

Great detective, Petra!

Can't take all or even most of the credit, Renata found the first ones, I just found the rest of the gaggle

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jennifer R Member Since: Sep 15, 2017
39 of 78

Maria T wrote:

Petra R wrote:

Great detective, Petra!

I think someone has fallen.
But there are still many Canadian professional full-stack developers Smiley Happy

Upwork, have they sneaked out the back door again?

They are also multiplets again.

Highlighted
Community Guru
40 of 78
Valeria K wrote:

Thanks for flagging, Petra. I've escalated this to the team to be addressed urgently.

Thanks Valeria Smiley Happy

But the team needs to develop a system that detects duplicates. I am led to believe it is not that technically challenging in the overall scheme of things and considering that the odd ones we stumble upon by sheer accident is only ever the tip of the iceberg, it is desperately needed.

Jennifer wrote:

They are also multiplets again.

yup. Let's urgently add a photo-duplicate-detector to the need-to-do-list.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS