cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: "The Aussie Voice" is dead. Long live "UX/UI designer who is fond of colors and a

Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
51 of 78

Petra R wrote:

Great job, Upwork. The UX/UI designers were all wiped out Smiley Happy

We now have a gaggle of Canadian React/Vue/Angular etc peeps. 49 and counting.

(1 is genuine. The rest are not)

They didn't even bother to remove these fake profiles. At the time I'm writing this, the same ones that you saw are still here. Sometimes I even wonder if they just let them in to inflate their figures so their quarterly report looks better.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
52 of 78

Rene K wrote:

Petra R wrote:

Great job, Upwork. The UX/UI designers were all wiped out Smiley Happy

We now have a gaggle of Canadian React/Vue/Angular etc peeps. 49 and counting.

(1 is genuine. The rest are not)

They didn't even bother to remove these fake profiles. At the time I'm writing this, the same ones that you saw are still here.

All 49?

Community Guru
Maria T Member Since: Nov 12, 2015
53 of 78

Yep!

All still there.

Community Guru
54 of 78

It seems that the current price for an Upwork profile approval is $40 on the black market:

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

How they do that? They just use the back doors that Upwork is leaving ajar for them.

-----------
Highlighted
Community Guru
55 of 78

Rene K wrote:

It seems that the current price for an Upwork profile approval is $40 on the black market:

Supply and demand...

Community Guru
Maria T Member Since: Nov 12, 2015
56 of 78

They have already done cleaning.

Community Guru
57 of 78

Maria T wrote:

They have already done cleaning.

Great. That was quick and decisive, and they actually managed to spare the one that is genuine... I was worried about him!

HOWEVER: The ones we stumble across by accident are just the tip(s) of the iceberg(s) - and lobbing tips of icebergs does not solve the actual problem, it just (occasionally) removes the visible symptoms.

It is time to stop letting in any new freelancers, or letting in more than can be manually and competently checked. That would solve the problem of the mass generated profiles that are sitting there waiting for eager buyers.

Community Guru
58 of 78

I would ask for a deposit. To have your account approved, you would need to make a deposit. The deposit would be refunded to you upon completion of your first job on the platform, or if you delete your profile, whichever comes first.

In case the profile is approved and it is noticed afterwards that it contains blatantly false information, the profile would be banned and the deposit kept by Upwork.

-----------
Community Guru
Jennifer R Member Since: Sep 15, 2017
59 of 78

Rene K wrote:

I would ask for a deposit. To have your account approved, you would need to make a deposit. The deposit would be refunded to you upon completion of your first job on the platform, or if you delete your profile, whichever comes first.

In case the profile is approved and it is noticed afterwards that it contains blatantly false information, the profile would be banned and the deposit kept by Upwork.

And what will happen with those that manage to get hired despite their fake profile?

Community Guru
60 of 78

Jennifer R wrote:

And what will happen with those that manage to get hired despite their fake profile?

The previous paragraph addresses this.

-----------
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS