cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"The Aussie Voice" is dead. Long live "UX/UI designer who is fond of colors and attractive designs"

Highlighted
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
71 of 78

Hi Rene and Mary,

I just wanted to provide an update that the accounts you flagged have been actioned already. Also, while I can't share the details publicly, I can confirm that some adjustments were made based on what we learned from this situation.

We appreciate your reports. 

Virginia, I checked and we had investigated the information available via the link you shared. Any related accounts that we could identify on our end have also been actioned. 

~ Valeria
Untitled
Highlighted
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
72 of 78

Valeria K wrote:

I can confirm that some adjustments were made based on what we learned from this situation.

I can confirm that you have not. I just flagged a bunch of these that Petra pointed out previously, the Canadian UX fake profiles. They is still more of them. They do tweak they profiles a bit, like not copy/pasting the same overview, but duplicating everething else for instance:

https://www.upwork.com/ab/profiles/search/?q=React%2FVue%2FAngular%2FReactNative%2FNode%2FDjango%2FR...

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
Highlighted
Community Guru
Virginia F Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
73 of 78

Rene K wrote:

Valeria K wrote:

I can confirm that some adjustments were made based on what we learned from this situation.

I can confirm that you have not. I just flagged a bunch of these that Petra pointed out previously, the Canadian UX fake profiles. They is still more of them. They do tweak they profiles a bit, like not copy/pasting the same overview, but duplicating everething else for instance:

https://www.upwork.com/ab/profiles/search/?q=React%2FVue%2FAngular%2FReactNative%2FNode%2FDjango%2FR...

Yep ... slightly tweaked overviews, but some of the same (stolen) photos as were in that first batch. I cannot fathom U's inability to make necessary changes to stop or at least curb this flood of insanity.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Mary W Member Since: Nov 10, 2014
74 of 78

And they all went to the same university(ies).

Highlighted
Community Guru
Catherine M Member Since: Jan 20, 2017
75 of 78

As I have said before, Upwork needs to stop accepting new freelancers until they clean up the fraudulent freelancer accounts already flooding the system. It's oversaturated with freelancers anyway. Note the continued complaints from freelancers about not being able to land a client. The client to freelancer ratio says enough.

Highlighted
Community Guru
76 of 78

Catherine M wrote:

As I have said before, Upwork needs to stop accepting new freelancers until they clean up the fraudulent freelancer accounts already flooding the system. It's oversaturated with freelancers anyway. Note the continued complaints from freelancers about not being able to land a client. The client to freelancer ratio says enough.

You, and all the rest of us in this thread - we've make this suggestion ad nauseam. It continues to fall on deaf ears. Upwork must have it's reasons, but for the life of me, I cannot begin to imagine what those reasons are.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
77 of 78

Virginia F wrote:

Catherine M wrote:

As I have said before, Upwork needs to stop accepting new freelancers until they clean up the fraudulent freelancer accounts already flooding the system.

You, and all the rest of us in this thread - we've make this suggestion ad nauseam. It continues to fall on deaf ears. Upwork must have it's reasons, but for the life of me, I cannot begin to imagine what those reasons are.

This is purely a theory, but the whole mess with the fake / bought / borrowed / sold / rented / leased / stolen / hijacked profiles was created as an unwanted side effect of restricting entry to Upwork for new freelancers.

If entry was now completely stopped, the perceived value of an Upwork account would go through the roof and that would lead to even more determined efforts. 

It would also make the trade in Upwork accounts more attractive to more organised criminal elements.

Maybe the best way forward would be NOT to push those people into making their fake profiles less detectable (which, frankly, is what we are doing with this thread, in a way) but to quietly develop ways to detect them and then shadowban them rather than removing them altogether. "Hiding them in plain sight" in other words.

If such profiles can't / won't get hired, then their value decreases. Let's face it, the ones we have been finding have largely never been hired, even when they've been months old. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
78 of 78

Petra R wrote:

Virginia F wrote:

Catherine M wrote:

As I have said before, Upwork needs to stop accepting new freelancers until they clean up the fraudulent freelancer accounts already flooding the system.

This is purely a theory, but the whole mess with the fake / bought / borrowed / sold / rented / leased / stolen / hijacked profiles was created as an unwanted side effect of restricting entry to Upwork for new freelancers.

If entry was now completely stopped, the perceived value of an Upwork account would go through the roof and that would lead to even more determined efforts. 

It would also make the trade in Upwork accounts more attractive to more organised criminal elements.

Maybe the best way forward would be NOT to push those people into making their fake profiles less detectable (which, frankly, is what we are doing with this thread, in a way) but to quietly develop ways to detect them and then shadowban them rather than removing them altogether. "Hiding them in plain sight" in other words.

If such profiles can't / won't get hired, then their value decreases. Let's face it, the ones we have been finding have largely never been hired, even when they've been months old. 

Petra, I agree with you, except for the fact that a client search brings up at least two pages, usually way more, of these frauds, and valid FLs might never even be found/get seen. Reading the client forum, we know that some of them get hired ... with the result being a very bad experience and a client who will never use Upwork again. With the ratio of freelancers to clients we have now, that is unacceptable.

I hope that Upwork will "quietly develop ways to detect them and then shadowban" ... except for the fact that they don't seem to know how to do that.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS