Reply
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reply

Re: "This job post is no longer available"

Highlighted
Community Leader
Kevin C. N Member Since: Oct 4, 2016
51 of 72

Hi, just thought I'd share my frustration here...

I have recently received an hourly offer from a client, so I checked the offer details and it seems that this client directly sent me an offer without posting a job, so, unfortunately, I am unable to view any of this clients work history or score...

I got in touch with Upwork support and they very kindly informed me that this particular client has posted several other jobs, but that because these have already been closed they cannot provide me a link to any page where I could read the feedback or check the score that my fellow freelancers left for her.

I find this extremely frustrating, as it seems that whilst the feedback that clients leave on my profile is out there available to everyone (it's pretty good, so no worries there, but still...) clients can hide their score and feedback by simply closing job postings. If trust in this whole system is based on feedback and scores how can it be that I am put in a position where I have to either accept a contract blindly (this client could well be a 1-star poor feedback client) or I have to decline the contract and ask the client to create a job posting so I can see their score and feedback, implying that I don't trust them and risking losing a job because of this total lack of transparency.

Am I missing something here or does it not make much sense?

Thanks!

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jess C Member Since: Feb 18, 2015
52 of 72

There is an ongoing issue with past job postings - clicking them brings up an error page. Read this thread for more info on the problem:

 

https://community.upwork.com/t5/Freelancers/quot-This-job-post-is-no-longer-available-quot/m-p/45327...

 

Moderators have promised us a fix very soon, but we're still waiting.

 

There's also a known issue of the lack of a way to see client details on a direct offer, for which the only workaround is the one you followed (contacting Support). But they may have been derailed by this other problem...

Highlighted
Community Leader
Kevin C. N Member Since: Oct 4, 2016
53 of 72

Thanks Jess,

I guess we'll have to wait and see... If this really is as they say "a bug" it is a monster-size one, and I can't understand how this hasn't been fixed for weeks... I had also noticed that the feedback I left for my clients wasn't showing, I hope this really is a bug and that we will see some progress soon, as the feeling I have is that Upwork is shielding it's clients more and more, to the point where I'm having to completely put a halt on any new contracts.

I can't see how this is beneficial for Upwork, as the result is that I'm spending that time looking for jobs via other websites,  but then again I guess there's too many of us for them to really care, as the saying goes: Clients rule, freelancers drool.

Sad times.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jess C Member Since: Feb 18, 2015
54 of 72

@Kevin C. N wrote:

Thanks Jess,

I guess we'll have to wait and see... If this really is as they say "a bug" it is a monster-size one, and I can't understand how this hasn't been fixed for weeks... I had also noticed that the feedback I left for my clients wasn't showing, I hope this really is a bug and that we will see some progress soon, as the feeling I have is that Upwork is shielding it's clients more and more, to the point where I'm having to completely put a halt on any new contracts.

I can't see how this is beneficial for Upwork, as the result is that I'm spending that time looking for jobs via other websites,  but then again I guess there's too many of us for them to really care, as the saying goes: Clients rule, freelancers drool.

Sad times.


Agreed! I'm somewhat willing to engage with clients who are new to the platform, but for clients with reviews, I really do need to be able to see their job history. For all of Upwork's claims to want to protect freelancers from fraud and other unsavory circumstances, their treatment of this major, site-wide lack of functionality speaks volumes. 

Highlighted
Community Manager
Lena E Community Manager Member Since: Apr 7, 2015
55 of 72

Hi everyone,

 

Again, thanks for your patience. The issue with freelancer feedback not displaying on a client's job post was resolved yesterday. However, the issue with accessing links to clients' previous jobs is not yet resolved. Engineers were hoping to have the fix pushed this week but there has been a delay with the fix. The updated timeframe is now next week, with the urgency of pushing as soon as possible. We will keep you informed of any updates. 

 

-Lena

Untitled
Highlighted
Community Guru
Pandora H Member Since: May 11, 2010
56 of 72

@Lena E wrote:

Hi everyone,

 

Again, thanks for your patience. The issue with freelancer feedback not displaying on a client's job post was resolved yesterday. However, the issue with accessing links to clients' previous jobs is not yet resolved. Engineers were hoping to have the fix pushed this week but there has been a delay with the fix. The updated timeframe is now next week, with the urgency of pushing as soon as possible. We will keep you informed of any updates. 

 

-Lena


 Thanks Lena! We know you Moderators get the short end of the stick, but for goodness sakes, it's really hard for us to understand why these really broken aspects of the site do not get quicker resolution. 

 

I play a pretty high profile MMO game, and if the devs break something in the game (which I dare to say is as equally complex as UW), they get on it and fix it within 2 days. UW is a much bigger company with more users, and I get that, but sheesh!

 

 

Highlighted
Community Leader
Kevin C. N Member Since: Oct 4, 2016
57 of 72

I might be stating the obvious here, and I'm sure this has already been discussed somewhere, but would life not be much easier for everyone if UW had client's work history be visible to freelancer's they send offers to?

This way us freelancers would not be put in a position where we have to tell someone we will not be accepting their job offer unless they post a job as this is the only way to check their feedback, thus implying that we don't trust them. I know there's ways to smooth-talk this, and that in any case it should be seen as something normal, but it's easy to see that some clients will take offence, and so the freelancer risks losing a job because UW won't readily provide access to client info.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jess C Member Since: Feb 18, 2015
58 of 72

@Kevin C. N wrote:

I might be stating the obvious here, and I'm sure this has already been discussed somewhere, but would life not be much easier for everyone if UW had client's work history be visible to freelancer's they send offers to?

This way us freelancers would not be put in a position where we have to tell someone we will not be accepting their job offer unless they post a job as this is the only way to check their feedback, thus implying that we don't trust them. I know there's ways to smooth-talk this, and that in any case it should be seen as something normal, but it's easy to see that some clients will take offence, and so the freelancer risks losing a job because UW won't readily provide access to client info.


Yes, that is the whole point - we are SUPPOSED to be able to see this information, and look at old job postings, and we have been able to in the past. That functionality is currently broken with a fix "on the way," but we've been waiting several weeks now.

Highlighted
Community Leader
Kevin C. N Member Since: Oct 4, 2016
59 of 72

Any progress?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jess C Member Since: Feb 18, 2015
60 of 72

@Lena E wrote:

Hi everyone,

 

Again, thanks for your patience. The issue with freelancer feedback not displaying on a client's job post was resolved yesterday. However, the issue with accessing links to clients' previous jobs is not yet resolved. Engineers were hoping to have the fix pushed this week but there has been a delay with the fix. The updated timeframe is now next week, with the urgency of pushing as soon as possible. We will keep you informed of any updates. 

 

-Lena


This seems to be working intermittently now, but you've given us no official update. Has a fix actually been rolled out? Or am I just lucky today?

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS