🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: "Webcam Access Attempted by Upwork"
Page options
iaabraham
Community Member

"Webcam Access Attempted by Upwork"

When I switched on my laptop today, I got a couple of pop-up notifications from Norton saying that Upwork attempted to access my webcam. (Status: Allowed -- I have no idea why Norton allowed it to!)

I didn't have the Upwork site or tracking app open when I received the notification. Also, I've never used the Upwork video chat feature in Messages, so I don't think it was that either.

I'm not really interested in opening a customer support ticket for this -- just want to know if anyone can clarify or experienced the same thing.

4 REPLIES 4
g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi isabelle,

I`m sorry about the delay in responding back as I was waiting for additional information from our team. 

Did you have this option enabled previously in the desktop app settings? If yes, it is possible that your antivirus remembered this and that is why you saw the notification. 
If the feature is set as Off, the desktop app will never use your camera even while you`re tracking your time. 

I still find it strange why you received the notification if the desktop app was not even opened. If you have any additional information that you can share with me, feel free to send them via PM and I will follow up with our engineering team. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Thanks, I'll PM you with more details soon...

lysis10
Community Member

Isabelle Anne A wrote:

When I switched on my laptop today, I got a couple of pop-up notifications from Norton saying that Upwork attempted to access my webcam. (Status: Allowed -- I have no idea why Norton allowed it to!)

I didn't have the Upwork site or tracking app open when I received the notification. Also, I've never used the Upwork video chat feature in Messages, so I don't think it was that either.

I'm not really interested in opening a customer support ticket for this -- just want to know if anyone can clarify or experienced the same thing.

lmao we don't record your conversations for real guys /shiftyeyes  But we just gonna check up on you occasionally. This is great. I'm gonna get so high on drama June 26th.

Jennifer M wrote:

Isabelle Anne A wrote:

lmao we don't record your conversations for real guys /shiftyeyes  But we just gonna check up on you occasionally. This is great. I'm gonna get so high on drama June 26th.

LOL! I really hope it's not related to that though. It was so strange, the notification popped up as soon as the desktop page loaded when I switched on my laptop. And when I checked the Norton history, it showed that Norton SafeCam has been allowing Upwork to access my webcam for like a couple of weeks now ... without asking me first!! Needless to say, I manually blocked Upwork's access in the settings later. (Mentioning this in case anyone else uses Norton.)

Goran did try to help, but unfortunately I didn't take screenshots and can't find those notifications anymore when I check my Norton history/log. 

*Edited to add: have never had the "take camera shots with screenshots while tracking" option turned on in the Upwork time-tracking app (always been off), so that's extra weird.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members