cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"number of proposals" is saving me so much time!

sintesi
Ace Contributor
Francesco O Member Since: Mar 24, 2016
1 of 17

Whenever i am considering a new task which looks interesting, i often scroll down to check the ratio between number of proposals and interviewed freelancers. This saves me so much time! For some reason there are clients writing very long and detailed project descriptions, that receive proposals from dozens of freelancers with all price ranges but do not even bother to interview a single one of them! This is not very respectful, they probably just copied and pasted the proposal from elsewhere, without much interest about the responses. Luckily, thanks to the information Upwork gives me, they will not waste my time at least

dorinfrunzete
Dorin F Member Since: Oct 29, 2015
2 of 17

I think we have a lot fake projects here. I have in my list more than 30 proposal with no answer, no interview. some of them older than one months. One bid is $2 - is a good affair for platform owner.

dataextract
Community Guru
Ramesh K Member Since: Oct 25, 2015
3 of 17
I have about 20+ projects which is about 5 months old sitting in my list unanswered, or no action taken. If the client cancels it, atleast I will get those connects back I think :-)
kissgabor2030
Community Guru
Gabor K Member Since: Apr 1, 2015
4 of 17

Clients sometimes do forget about cancelling those jobs, even if they found someone for them outside UW. 
Not worth to cancel the proposals, though - for example, yesterday I was awarded a job after 3 weeks of sending the proposal (with more than 30 applicants there). So, "long" does not always mean "forever" here.

tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
5 of 17

That's an interesting take, OP. I generally bypass any project that shows multiple people being interviewed. I don't mind a large number of proposals so long as the client isn't already engaging with multiple other freelancers. Often, if a the project is thoroughly detailed as you describe and the proposal is equally specific, there's no reason for an interview at all.

noirre
Community Guru
Hanna N Member Since: Jun 17, 2015
6 of 17

"For some reason there are clients writing very long and detailed project descriptions, that receive proposals from dozens of freelancers with all price ranges but do not even bother to interview a single one of them! "

Maybe they are all bad fits?

The only statistics I really care about are if someone's already been hired, or if the client is interviewing a suspiciously large portion of the bidders, at that to me screams "scam attampt". 

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
7 of 17

I actually like to see interviews. It tells me that the client is active. Since I know that me>*competitors, I ain't skeered to bid.

noirre
Community Guru
Hanna N Member Since: Jun 17, 2015
8 of 17

Jennifer, I mean instances where the numbers are completely ridiculous, like client interviewing 45 out of 48 freelancers. I see jobs like that a lot in translations, and usually, it means the client is either doing a scam, trying to get the work done for free by sending people "samples" to translate, or trying to gather a database of contact information for their agency to use outside of UpWork.

Now, if they are interviewing 5/50, then I'll apply. 

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
9 of 17

Oh yeah, that's just a sign that they are getting free work. Avoid.

If the gig has been up for a long while, I might avoid too. Not sure. I basically apply if I think I can kill it, but I have a lot of connects to play with. 

sintesi
Ace Contributor
Francesco O Member Since: Mar 24, 2016
10 of 17

When i see dozens of proposals, with all price ranges, i cannot believe that they are all bad fits. You are right that people could get hired without being interviewed, so the number of hires is also very important, but often i see job offers which simply look forgotten.

I think that Upwork would be a better place if both who offers a job and who apply for a job cared more about what they are doing. I want to say something also about Freelancers blindly applying to anything, but this is for another thread! Smiley Happy

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS