cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"number of proposals" is saving me so much time!

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
11 of 17

"When i see dozens of proposals, with all price ranges, i cannot believe that they are all bad fits"

You should believe it. Junk bids far outweigh good ones. When there are 50 bids on the table, I figure I have maybe 2-3 competitors in the list when I bid. 

sfw19002
Ace Contributor
Sarah W Member Since: Aug 10, 2010
12 of 17

Agreed--I only search the last 24 hours, with less than 10 proposals in the queue and under 5 interviews.

If the project passes that then we look to client's rating and location.

Gets saved if no payment verified and I watch it, Proposal if payment verified.

sintesi
Ace Contributor
Francesco O Member Since: Mar 24, 2016
13 of 17

@sarah W wrote:

Gets saved if no payment verified and I watch it, Proposal if payment verified.

Interesting, i never save or watch jobs. How does saving and watching a job works for you? When the payment is not verified, do you still expect that something may change so that the job becomes worth applying?

miroslav84
Community Guru
Miroslav M Member Since: Jan 21, 2016
14 of 17

Well, most scammers and spammers never verify their payment method, so it may be a good strategy for filtering them out.

Recently I  had found a posting from a guy who verified their payment method. The proposal looked unique i.e. never seen sth like that before, their location visible and their payment method verified. Landed job, worked it, got paid. Had issues with their understanding how things work on Upwork and the job ended, but got paid...

Later, I started to see exactly the same job description reposted on a daily basis, virtually every single day, and in each case it was a brand new client without payment method verified.

sfw19002
Ace Contributor
15 of 17

If the payment becomes verified than I know the job posting was 'serious.' Very few projects are saved, truly only the interesting ones.

I don't expect the project to details to change but if a client gets their payment verified (especially for flat rate projects) my risk is greatly decreased.

smartresearch
Vittorio B Member Since: Feb 2, 2016
16 of 17

Hi Sarah:

I really like your thinking, which is valuable for someone like me who is still relatively new on Upwork.

Thanks for the reasoned insight - it's appreciated Smiley Wink

Vittorio

sfw19002
Ace Contributor
17 of 17

No problem, Upwork/oDesk/whatever-kids-call-it-these-days is always evolving so that process works for me today based on how the site's search parameters are now. Was different even a few months ago and very different from when I first started. We can't apply to all jobs. At some point, no matter how qualified we may be for a gig, we'd be just white noise to a client after so many other proposals.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS