cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

refound

diosi
Diosi J Member Since: May 28, 2017
1 of 4

hello everyone, I have a question. if I have finished the job in accordance with the initial agreement, but the client asks for change after all the work is done, I can answer but it takes time to finish, but the client does not want and ask for refound, while I have completed the work according to the initial accuracy, and client intend report me to upwork, do i have to refound?

dataextract
Community Guru
Ramesh K Member Since: Oct 25, 2015
BEST ANSWER
2 of 4

It is upto you to decide.

If you have full proof that you did the work according to the client's description no need to refund it. But there are chances that the client will leave a -ve feedback which will affect your JSS

View solution in original post

diosi
Diosi J Member Since: May 28, 2017
3 of 4

I have the proof, from the files I've sent and several times the file refission, which I'm worried if the client report to my upwork and my account in suspend?

kat303
Community Guru
Kathy T Member Since: Jul 17, 2015
4 of 4

@diosi J wrote:

I have the proof, from the files I've sent and several times the file refission, which I'm worried if the client report to my upwork and my account in suspend?

Your account won't be suspended unless you violated Upwork's TOS (taking/accepting money off site. for example.) What will most likely happen, is that if you decline that refund request, the client might start a dispute. If you don't respond to that dispute, the money in escrow will automatically be refunded to the client. In a dispute an Upwork mediator will probably tell you to try and work some sort of arrangement with the client. Something to the effect of refunding half of the amount (or some other percentage.) You can go that route, if you choose and IF both of you can come to some sort of agreement. If not, then the next step is arbitration. The client if they choose will need to pay a $291 fee and you will also need to pay that fee. If both of you do, that fee is not returned to you (or the client) no matter if either of you "win" the arbitration. BUT, if one of you doesn't pay that fee, then the other gets the escrowed funds AND get the fee back also.

IMO, if you did good work, Professional work, according to the requirements that were specified for the job, then you shouldn't refund anything. And also IMO If you have proof that you've done a very good job and satisfied the requirements, if need be, you should take it all the way to arbitration if it goes that far. 

You will probably get negative feedback if the client doesn't get their refund, so be prepared for that. If you answer that feedback back, make sure you take the time (at least a day if not more) to professionally draft a response to that. 

If a client does good work, they should not be held hostage to refunding money just to get good feedback. Too many clients are using this tactic to get free work. Freelancers, especially new freelancers should finally take a stand (as long as their work is done correctly and professionally.) 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS