🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: report scam
Page options
r_zarkhah
Community Member

report scam

hi,I had an a issue which it was closed me to chaarge 2500$,so i got invitation from **edited for Community Guidelines** which you can see in my msg,so they wanted me as a interpreter but all of that was a big lie and scam,after i did interview in hanguot program they told me i am gonne sign contract which is belong to **edited for Community Guidelines** and we did interview for more than 2 hour,later they sent me a check  to provide my stuffs.but they wanted me use my bank app and add that check to my bank account,hopefully i didnt do that but they have my driver liscence copy now and i am scared.and plz dont let people like that to work in upwork.i have other sceenshot too.from their msg.or you can check my msg from **edited for Community Guidelines**.they did 2 hour interview with me .i understand its lie when they wanted send me check before start work.anyway email me plz.

2 REPLIES 2
prestonhunter
Community Member

Thank you for your report.

I am sorry if you lost time or were frightened or frustrated by this scam. This is the most common scam we see reported on Upwork, and it is common elsewhere. We often call it the "fake check scam."

For future reference, remember that all payments or exchange of funds must go through Upwork. It is a serious violation of Upwork rules to accept a check from a client, whether that check is real or fake.

You were wise to decide to NOT cash this check and continue participating in this scam. You made the right decision.

I know that you are scared a little bit because you sent them your address. Don't worry so much about that. These particular scammers just want to steal money from your bank account. They can not do that now, because you stopped following your instructions. They are not even in the same country as you. They are not going to use your address for anything else.

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Rana, 

I'm sorry to learn about your experience in Upwork. Please know that as part of the Upwork User Agreement, users are not allowed to offer, and accept payments off Upwork. As such, all payments regardless of the purpose (bonus, expense reimbursement, purchasing of products required for the project) should be done through the website. 

I highly recommend that you read up on the freelancer resources we have compiled, for great tips and insights on how you can work successfully on the platform. Please don’t forget to read the Safety First! section of the resources, and these tips for avoiding questionable jobs for more information about working safely through Upwork.

You may also want to read up on this help article for more information on what actions may temporarily, or permanently put a hold on your account. On my end, I'll check on this client, and report  it to the team for their review and action.

~ Avery
Upwork
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members