Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

requesting "Available Right Now" option

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
1 of 7

Currently I can specify my availability as a contractor using one of these three options:

- More than 30 hrs/week
- Less than 30 hrs/week
- As Needed - Open to Offers

But I don't see an option to indicate that I'm available RIGHT NOW.

Is there such an option, but I'm just missing this?

I would find this very useful as both a contractor and client.

Because sometimes, as a client, I would like to get some work done RIGHT NOW, such as when I need to do some screen-sharing and get a talented contractor to help me fix a technical problem.

And sometimes as a contractor I have time to do something right now, not in a few hours or tomorrow, but as I'm sitting there. I'm willing to help out clients if they need my particular expertise immediately or just want to pay for some immediate consultation.

Upwork has talked around this before, and has made a big deal about being able to hire contractors quickly. But I don't see any way to hire live, immediate help, or to offer such.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Linda P Member Since: Aug 1, 2015
2 of 7

Preston, I full heartedly agree with you about having the option to let clients know we are immediately available.

That being said, I am doubtful most clients will take it seriously. As I have seen jobs that were needed to be completed by such and such date, or hiring within the hour, and still the job posting remains open.

But yes, an Immediately Available button would be great, so it doesn’t get lost in the proposal.

BTW – How long would you keep your proposals open, or after what time would you withdraw due to unresponsive client?

Highlighted
Community Guru
3 of 7

re: "How long would you keep your proposals open, or after what time would you withdraw due to unresponsive client?"

There's not a great advantage to withdrawing proposals. I don't get anything for doing so. Don't get connects back or anything. So I usually don't do anything for a couple weeks. Then I'll check out the job details, and if I see nobody has been hired, I'll leave the proposal alone for a couple more weeks. If I see somebody has already been hired, I'm likely to withdraw a proposal about 3 weeks after applying, more for the sake of cleaning up my screen rather than for any specific practical purpose.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
4 of 7

@Preston H wrote:

re: "How long would you keep your proposals open, or after what time would you withdraw due to unresponsive client?"

There's not a great advantage to withdrawing proposals. I don't get anything for doing so. Don't get connects back or anything. So I usually don't do anything for a couple weeks. Then I'll check out the job details, and if I see nobody has been hired, I'll leave the proposal alone for a couple more weeks.

That's all well and good with "normal" applications,but it's exactly why your idea would cause logistical nightmares.

So you apply for something "needed now" because you have a few spare hours NOW.

You leave it open and the client gets back to you 3 days later when you no longer have a few spare hours. Bad client experience.

This would only work if there was an automated expiry time of both the job and the "available now" because neither the average client nor the average freelancer can be trusted to keep their stuff up to date to this kind of level.

I can see this be a cute "extra" in some way, such as separate section for "needed now" but to be honest the last thing that the site needs now is something else to break or cause unexpected outcomes...

Plus clients have the ability to say "need it now" in a job posting so that sort of works the same way, despite many of them then never hiring anyone.

It's already perfectly possible to hire and get hired within the hour of a job being posted so I see this more as an unneeded and potentially problem fraught gimmick than something anyone needs when there is so much existing stuff that isn't working or working wrong or breaking as we speak.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Linda P Member Since: Aug 1, 2015
5 of 7

What do you think about these Stats?

Stats from Proposal Page 
Total Active Candidacies2
Total Jobs Open2
Total Jobs w/Interviews2
Total Hires0

Total w/ Due Dates1
Open Past Due Date1
Due Date Not Yet Due0

-------------------------------------------

Stats from Proposal Page 
Total Proposed Jobs21
Total Jobs Open21
Total Jobs w/Interviews11
Total Hires7

Stats from Job Description Page21
Total Proposals21
Total Interviews11
Total Hires8
Total Hires per Job Description4
Total Hires outside Job Description4

Total w/ Due Dates8
Open Past Due Date6
Due Date Not Yet Due2
Highlighted
Community Guru
Suzanne N Member Since: Aug 15, 2012
6 of 7

Preston,

Although I can see a use for this, there are so many other things that need to be fixed. Isn't this kind of trivial?

An example is they change the Available 10 hours or less to "- As Needed - Open to Offers" which they evidently thought anyone who was available 10 hours or less was open to offers and available as needed which is far from the case. This still has not been fixed.

I could see a use for an Available right now, but that could also throw a whole lot more problems into the already existing problems. Because we will always have those who leave it on that they are "Available Right Now" all the time and they are not really available, and we will have clients who get upset that they sent an invite to someone who said they were Available Right now and did not get a response. It creates a whole new set of issues.

Highlighted
Community Guru
7 of 7

You both make good points about wanting to see the overall site functionality fully operational, stablized, and less buggy.

I think this idea is one that Upwork itself announced as a future feature when they made the switch from oDesk to Upwork.

I think part of the reason for moving to the not-ready-for-prime-time Message System was to provide a more immediate "live chat"-like experience for clients. Which is something I have mixed feelings about. I haven't seen any mention of this by Upwork recently, however.

You are correct in pointing out that it is *possible* to hire somebody "right now" by putting text to that effect in the job title and job description. One can do that and then closely monitor the contract screen to see who applies right away. That's what I do now.

This doesn't provide a particulary simplified functionality in terms of search, but it is doable.

I think that hiring somebody "right now" is actually a little easier from the client side.

It is possible as a contractor to search for related text strings such as "today" or "right now", but there is no sure way to zero in on clients who genuinely do want to hire somebody and work with them or assign them to do work immediately, the kind of work that is short and would be turned in within an hour or two.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS