🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » requiring set hourly guarantee on contract?
Page options
psheybani
Community Member

requiring set hourly guarantee on contract?

is there a way to put something in the contract saying that if they do not guarantee that many hours available then we will charge them anyways? 

Another situation I run into is I am practically a 9 to 5 on-call situation for them and no matter how often I tell them I need 24-hour notice or something they just keep scheduling me for last-minute calls or last min projects that have to launch etc. and since we are at the mercy of these clients giving us good ratings you do not want to look like noncooperative either or flexible either. I was told that by a client too when I had to push back on last-minute things etc with the premise that digital marketing is a fluid business and continually ly shifting. 

3 REPLIES 3
moonraker
Community Member

Parisa S wrote:

is there a way to put something in the contract saying that if they do not guarantee that many hours available then we will charge them anyways. 

I don't know, but why would a client agree to that instead of just choosing another freelancer instead? Is there a reason you want to insist on a minimum of 5 hours/week? I mean, it's really up to the client how much work they need done and/or can afford to pay for. Making such demands just means that opportunities are likely to be passed onto other freelancers. 

Parisa S wrote:

another situation I run into is I am practically a 9 to 5 on-call situation for them and no matter how often I tell them I need 24-hour notice or something they just keep scheduling me for last-minute calls or last min projects that have to launch etc. and since we are at the mercy of these clients giving us good ratings you do not want to look like noncooperative either or flexible either. I was told that by a client too when I had to push back on last-minute things etc with the premise that digital marketing is a fluid business and continually ly shifting. 

I always specify before the contract starts the I want X number of days notice. Not once has it been a problem for me. If they were demanding immediate attention then they are not somebody I would want to be working with and is something that's discussed before a contract is started. 

I don't know exactly what aspect of digital marketing they are involved in but if they really do need stuff that urgently then it's up to you to manage that if you accept the job. 

petra_r
Community Member

Clients hire freelancers (among other reasons) to have scalable and flexible resources.

If they wanted to pay someone a minimum of 10 hours per week, they could employ someone part time.

I think insisting on 10 hours minimum will cost you a lot of clients, as will being over inflexible with days and times. 

You can put in the contract what you like, but Upwork won't enforce something like that (needing 10+ hours a week) for you, and if you billed hours that were not genuinely worked, the client would immediately win any dispute over such hours.

researchediting
Community Member

Parisa S wrote:

is there a way to put something in the contract saying that if they do not guarantee that many hours available then we will charge them anyways? 

I believe there is a provision for fixed periodic payments. It's not an if/then kind of thing. The client agrees at the outset to pay you a fixed amount per period, in return for whatever value you can agree is worth it. If you can make a case for such an arrangement in your field, then go for it. If it's not customary in your field, it will be a hard sell.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members