Page options
grafixguy
Community Member

sammers

Spoiler
Spoiler
SCAM

Be careful.

I am a freelance graphic designer. I was offered a project through a reputable freelance website. For some reason, the company probably being used b a team of scammers, sent me a check from your company for $3,890.00 via FEDEX in advance to buy equipment. I was told to deposit the check in my business account, which I did, and then send money to a third party via Zelle or Venmo in the amount of $1,500.00 out of that check. But I told the person on the phone that the check had to clear the bank. He said I could send $500 and that would be okay.

Once again I told him not possible. He started giving me options like Amazon Card or iTunes Cards. Over the weekend, I received several calls from unknown numbers as well as emails and texts from these scoundrels pushing me to follow up

That pretty much slammed-dunked the fact that it was a scam. I contacted my bank and they confirmed it was an altered check

4 REPLIES 4
AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Randall, 

As a gentle reminder, please note that users cannot offer and accept payments outside of Upwork since this is a violation of the Upwork Terms of Service. It would also be best to visit these articles for more information on how you can keep in line with Upwork's Terms of Service when engaging on the website:

In the meantime, it would be best if you read up on the "Safety First!" section of the freelancer resources we have compiled, these tips for avoiding questionable jobs, and these articles for more information about working safely through Upwork.

In the future, and if you haven't already, please report suspicious activity by following the flagging options here. 

~ Avery
Upwork
martina_plaschka
Community Member

There are a number of indicators that this is a scam. First, using common sense will tell you that nobody gives $$$$ to a stranger on the internet.

There is no second, because this is where you need to stop talking to these people. You seriously endanger your account by the ToS violations you committed - taking payment outside of upwork, communicating outside of upwork. 

People have given a number of accounts how this went for them, from being accused of fraud by their bank, losing their bank account, being arrested for money laundering, or simply losing their own money. 

I don't know in which world you assumed this was legit. Not the one I live in. 

grafixguy
Community Member

Thanks! I've learned a lesson.

wescowley
Community Member

It's a common scam. I suggest you read this post before going much further. It will help you recognize other scams. 

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members