🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » scam
Page options
0ab2c086
Community Member

scam

i got hired by Appen for a project and when I submitted they ask me to pay 150$ to link their payment machine with my Paypal and after they ask me to pay 300$ for the membership Card . And they say I can't receive my payment until I paid for this.

i am pretty sure I got scammed 

8 REPLIES 8
rjackso7
Community Member

• Stired of scams on UPWORK.  If they are not willing to control this all of us Freelancers need to go elsewhere.  

The biggest scam problem is freelancers who go outside of Upwork for communication or money before a contract is in place.

I'm sure there might still be problems wherever you want to move to

mydhir
Community Member

Hello!

Upwork does not allow external payments between clients and Freelancers. Precisely that is to avoid scams.

If a supposed client asks you for $150 to link his PayPal account, it is clearly a scam. 👨‍🏫

Upwork accepts withdrawals from this site to PayPal, but not payments directly by PayPal. 👁

My recommendation is to only accept work from clients who have the "payment verification method" option enabled and approved. Remember that Upwork is safe for everyone. 🙂

What do you think verified payment means?

It does not prevent scams or chargebacks. It has nothing to do with the legitimacy of the job.

Upwork is not safe for everyone. For those who ignore the rules or intentionally break them because they think it will bring them big money, it can be a very dangerous place.  For the freelancers who follow the rules, it is as safe as you will find any online platform.

If the freelancers continue to violate the Terms of Service, the scammers will never leave.

nicole_v_
Community Member

A lot of people are getting scammed by "Appen." But, it's important that people understand that Appen is actually a legimitate company that works with freelancers. HOWEVER, when you see "Appen" on UpWork, it's other people posing as Appen. They are masquerading as Appen so that you think they can be trusted, however, Appen has their own platform so there's no reason for them to be looking for freelancers on UpWork. So, you're not getting scammed by Appen, you're getting scammed by someone pretending to work with Appen. 

re: "A lot of people are getting scammed by "_______" But, it's important that people understand that _______ is actually a legimitate company..."

ALL companies may have their names and public employee lists utilized by scammers. So this has nothing to do with one particular company. Scam,res constantly rotate through company names and use new ones, all based on real companies.

The conman your names don't matter. I never check out company names. The only thing that matters is client behavior.

If a client hires properly using a real Upwork contract, then it is a legitimate contract. The name of the company has nothing to do with it.

1abc5291
Community Member

I met the day before yesterday, and then I didn't get any money. But I feel weird about this guy

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths