Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

scammer client

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Youstina M Member Since: Aug 7, 2018
1 of 9

Hello Im a new freelancer on upwork and want to explain what happend to me to know the right action i should take now:

I were accepted on a job and the client send me a contract with milestone paid way. He already paid for the first task but before i had submit the document for the second task, he argue me to continue work with him but with a very low price and i refused that ( with gentle way ) so we agreed to submit what i already finish after he add another milistone  and he will close the contract after that.

But what happend is that i send the documents on this new milistone but he kept the contract open and send to me a very bad speech on skype ( at first he asked me to give him my skype id to make an interview)

Now I'm not sure that he will close the contract to make the money escrow to me. What should i do?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jennifer R Member Since: Sep 15, 2017
2 of 9

If you have delived the agreed milestone, enter the project choose "Submit Work for Payment". Attach the file once more and request the release. The client now has two weeks to request a refund. If he does, just come back here and we guide you. In the meantime take screanshots from the messages he has send you on Skype and block him there.

You can always close a contract yourself, but all the money in escrow will then go back to the client, so just wait and see how he reacts to the payment request.

Highlighted
Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
3 of 9

I'm sorry to hear about the issue that arose on your contract Youstina. I checked and see you already submitted the second Milestone, please make sure not to use the Resubmit button again in order to avoid resetting the count-down timer. Your client has 14 days to review the work and release request you submitted, with the option to decline and request further changes to the work you provided, approve it or not take any action, in which case the Escrow funds will be released to you automatically after the 14-day review period expires. You can find more information here.

Please review the new freelancer resources we compiled here and let us know if you have any questions.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Jesse N Member Since: Apr 17, 2016
4 of 9

I hope I get an apology like this one. That would be really nice.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
5 of 9
@Jesse N wrote:

I hope I get an apology like this one. That would be really nice.

Where do you see an apology?

What you see is called an "empathy statement" - Saying "I'm sorry to hear you had a bad experience" is not the same as "I apologize for ..."

It's a bit like saying "I am sorry your aunt had an accident" is not the same as saying "I aplogize for running your aunt over."

Quite apart from that you can't go into a shop and buy anything with an apology...

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
6 of 9

European speak is not the same as north american speak I guess. Saying you're sorry in such a context is both a statement of sympathy and admission of culpability. It's definitely not the same as "I'm so sorry your aunt died."

Highlighted
Community Guru
7 of 9

@Jesse N wrote:

European speak is not the same as north american speak I guess. Saying you're sorry in such a context is both a statement of sympathy and admission of culpability.

Saing "I am sorry to hear...." is no such thing as an admission of culpability and US customer facing staff are very carefully trained to use language that does not "admit culpability."

Why would there be any culpability on behalf of the moderator (or Upwork for that matter) when a client is being an **Edited for Community Guidelines**?

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
8 of 9

Ok, I tap out Smiley Happy. Maybe I'm grasping a bit here because I'm so annoyed presently.

Highlighted
Community Guru
9 of 9

@Jesse N wrote:

Ok, I tap out Smiley Happy. Maybe I'm grasping a bit here because I'm so annoyed presently.

I know you are, which is why I wasn't snapping at you Smiley Wink

Take a deep breath and relax a bit if possible. Stuff tends to get sorted and the end result is not affected by you going nuts, only you are. I know it's easier said than done but it's true and suggested for your sake.

Breathe.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS