cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

scamming

lastnaomi
Naomi L Member Since: Jul 7, 2016
1 of 4

I think am be scamm people are contacting offering me jobs when they are asking for personal information like bank account and name, tel phone numbers.

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
BEST ANSWER
2 of 4

Hi Naomi,

I am glad you came to check with the Community. While clients may prefer different communication methods for the interview, payments have to be made via the platform. That's why there is no reason for the client to request your personal and banking information. If clients do, please flag the job as inappropriate.

It's important that you don't start working for a client until there is an active contract under your My Jobs tab.

Check out this thread for more tips on how to avoid problematic clients.

~ Valeria
Upwork

View solution in original post

sharipet
Shari P Member Since: Feb 25, 2017
3 of 4

Hello Valeria,

I've been an Odesk contractor since 2010. I have 100% job success rate and all 5-star ratings from all my clients. I even worked steadily for my last client for over 6 years.. I was recently laid off when they were bought out by another company. Anyway, I've been trying to reach out to someone on Upwork to discuss this issue of scammers... If you're not the right person, maybe you can point me in the right direction. I've been very disappointed in this platform lately because there are so many scammers out there. It would be great if you guys could "vet" the employers..... I'm a long-time serious earner on this portal and it gets old really fast when every time I get an invite, it's a scam. I know you have Upwork recruiters that help clients... is there any way I can get in touch with a recruiter that can help me find legitimate work? If you review my profile, you will see how much I've earned and read about my awesome feedback. I would like to find legitimate work on here, but with all the scammers, it's been really disappointing.

Thank you!

Shari (**Edited for Community Guidelines**)

vladag
Community Manager
Vladimir G Community Manager Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
4 of 4

Hi Shari,

Could you please report clients from invites you found suspicious directly to Customer Support so our team could review and advise? Please also check the safety tips Valeria linked in her post above in order to recognize and avoid questionable jobs. I understand it's difficult to start bidding again after being involved on a long-term contract and would advise you to check the resources we shared here in order to account for the changes that happened in the mean time since the last time you were actively looking for a job on Upwork. You have the right experience and skills so you shouldn't find it hard to land more quality contracts.

Please let me know if you have any questions regarding the invites you mentioned or searching for jobs, and I'll be happy to help.

Untitled
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS