jaquiegraham
Jacquelyn G Member Since: Sep 20, 2017
1 of 13

How are you protecting us from scams?

jaquiegraham
Jacquelyn G Member Since: Sep 20, 2017
2 of 13

I just completed an interview with**Edited for Community Guidelines**

.  I had never done a skype interview before, so I Googled the company but did not see his name associated with the company.  I contacted the better business bureau and their representative suggested that I call the company.  I found out then that they do not conduct online or skype interviews.  

How much information did he recieve from this website?  He asked me to send him my name, address, cell number and email address, but how much information did he get from Upwork?

niag
Community Guru
Nia G Member Since: May 3, 2016
3 of 13

From Upwork, he would only get your name (and your last name isn't displayed so he only has the first to go on). He wouldn't have any personal contact info from Upwork unless you shared it with him. 

As for Skype, any information visible in your profile he may have seen. 

But not to worry, scammers here want money 99% of the time so there's a very slim chance of identity theft, harrassment, etc. with this kind of scam. They just hope that you won't report them so that they can move on and dupe some other unsuspecting person. Needless to say, you should flag the job post as inappropriate if you have not already done so. It will be removed from the marketplace and Upwork will give the "client" the boot. 

niag
Community Guru
Nia G Member Since: May 3, 2016
4 of 13

Upwork has a team that is always busy reviewing job posts to keep scams from the marketplace. They also provide resources to help us protect ourselves via the blog and Help section. Sometimes scams do slip through the cracks and so we have a part in keeping ourselves safe by being informed about red flags and reporting anything suspicious or outright wrong to Upwork. 

Below are justa few examples you might want to check out: 

https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/211068008-Why-does-Upwork-require-clients-to-have-a-ver...

https://www.upwork.com/blog/2017/03/increasing-protections-on-upwork/

https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/211063118-Report-Suspicious-User-Activity

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
5 of 13

Hi Jacquelyn,

We'll make sure the job you are referring to is reviewed and necessary actions are taken. In addition to resources Nia shared, please check out this post for more tips on how to avoid questionable jobs.

~ Valeria
Upwork
prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
6 of 13

Jacquelyn:

The bad news is that as long as there are newbie freelancers on Upwork who get scammed because they don't follow Upwork ToS and because they just do things that are irrational... there will be scams here. There is no way to get rid of the scams entirely, no matter how hard Upwork tries.

The good news is that once you have some experience, you recognize scams instantly and you don't need anybody else to protect you from them.

cemmerling
Cynthia E Member Since: Oct 21, 2017
7 of 13

I am on Sype with this person right now.

Offering work outside of Upwork and will send me a check for equipement.

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
8 of 13

@Cynthia E wrote:

I am on Sype with this person right now.

Offering work outside of Upwork and will send me a check for equipement.

The check will of course be fake, you'll send real money for "equipment," and owe the bank $ 3000 to $ 4000

One of the oldest scams on the net, I first saw it 12 or so years ago.

cemmerling
Cynthia E Member Since: Oct 21, 2017
9 of 13

I just asked him to send cash to a post office box and then I can purchase the equipment.

I won't play with him too much longer tho.

Thanks Smiley Happy

jmlaidlaw
Community Guru
Janean L Member Since: Apr 6, 2016
10 of 13

Jennifer M. always gives them the postal address of the local police station.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS