🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » sending suggested sample work, to the Client.
Page options
crish750
Community Member

sending suggested sample work, to the Client.

I sent my proposal to create a new Brand name for a product and the client had an interview with me, saying his requirements and also requested me to create and send him some suggested brand names, which I did. After I sending several suggestions, subsequently, he closes the communication, telling me some reason. I have a very strong doubt, that he picked one of my suggested brand names and then close the contract, to avoid my payment. So far, this has happened to me, with two clients. To get rid of this tricky situation, what should I do in the future?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
petra_r
Community Member

Crishantha A wrote:

That's why I sent some, thinking that I will lose the contract if I fail to do so.

Well, were you hired? No? There's your answer.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
petra_r
Community Member

Crishantha A wrote:

So far, this has happened to me, with two clients. To get rid of this tricky situation, what should I do in the future?

In future, if you want to sell the cow, don't give away the milk for free.

Think about it logically, if the client interviews 10 people to give him 10 names each, he has 100 and doesn't have to hire anyone.

crish750
Community Member

Thanks for the reply. I got your idea. In both instances, I sent them my previously done samples. But they insisted on my new suggestions. That's why I sent some, thinking that I will lose the contract if I fail to do so.

tlbp
Community Member

Crishantha A wrote:

Thanks for the reply. I got your idea. In both instances, I sent them my previously done samples. But they insisted on my new suggestions. That's why I sent some, thinking that I will lose the contract if I fail to do so.

To lose a contract, there would actually have to be a contract. What you have done is given away free work. If you say "no" to these requests, you will only lose the chance to work for free. 

crish750
Community Member

Thank you for the valuable advice.

petra_r
Community Member

Crishantha A wrote:

That's why I sent some, thinking that I will lose the contract if I fail to do so.

Well, were you hired? No? There's your answer.

Crishantha A wrote:

But they insisted on my new suggestions. 

So that's your signal to go back to the project page, click on the "flag as inappropriate" link, and report the client for asking for free work. 

re: "But they insisted on my new suggestions. That's why I sent some, thinking that I will lose the contract if I fail to do so."

The client violated a serious Upwork ToS rule by asking you to work for free.

kinector
Community Member

Crishantha, I think you and the previous commentators are missing the point.

Why are you doing this business (of selling brand names) online? Is that a good business? If not in the beginning, when in the future will it get good? Has someone managed to build a very nice online business doing it? Isn't the obvious risk of not getting paid too high compared to the certainty of needing to do some work to get a paying client?

Are those clients needing that service those who really want to pay BIG bucks for it?

And most importantly, do you have a skill to produce great results for those clients who are willing to pay significantly better than everyone else's skills out here?

These are just questions that apply to every online-based business and global competition in general.

Normally, what you want to do as a freelancer is to build a narrow but HIGHLY profitable niche that you can almost own. That means, all good clients talk to you and most of them hire you specifically, because of your greater skill.

These things don't depend on any features of any freelance site or how you use it. It only depends on what your business is.

I suspect (as I cannot see your profile on the mobile version) that you are pursuing a business domain that can never get particularly sweet for you. It will be too hard to make it a good business. If you end up in this situation, pivot.

Of course, I hope I'm wrong.

I'm now milking a totally different fat cow that I started my Upwork (=Elance) journey with. I've pivoted trice already.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

Mikko R wrote:
Crishantha, I think you and the previous commentators are missing the point.

Why are you doing this business (of selling brand names) online? Is that a good business? If not in the beginning, when in the future will it get good? Has someone managed to build a very nice online business doing it? Isn't the obvious risk of not getting paid too high compared to the certainty of needing to do some work to get a paying client?

Are those clients needing that service those who really want to pay BIG bucks for it?

Yes, providing branding services (including helping companies come up with a good name for their business) is highly lucrative and yes, clients are willing to pay "BIG bucks" for it. Whether the OP is qualified to provide this service is a different matter, but since his question was about providing free work, I don't think that the rest of the commentators missed the point.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members