🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: services as a Freelancer
Page options
incomer007
Community Member

services as a Freelancer

Hi, as a freelancer, How many services I can offer on upwork?

Regards

Abdullah

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
petra_r
Community Member

Abdullah M wrote:

Less is more. Avoid offering too many, it makes you look like you just dabble and don't really know what you are doing in any of them, especially as a newbie.

Best to pick one, 2 maximum.

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
petra_r
Community Member

Abdullah M wrote:

Less is more. Avoid offering too many, it makes you look like you just dabble and don't really know what you are doing in any of them, especially as a newbie.

Best to pick one, 2 maximum.

lysis10
Community Member

yawn. I wake up this fine summer morning and I see the **Edited for Community Guidelines**takeover is still happening.

Is there some **Edited for Community Guidelines**FB group that told you people to post on the forum and the dollar bills will start rolling in?

Jennifer M wrote:

yawn. I wake up this fine summer morning and I see the **Edited for Community Guidelines**takeover is still happening.

Is there some **Edited for Community Guidelines**FB group that told you people to post on the forum and the dollar bills will start rolling in?

I don't even understand the rationale. Why do these people want multiple accounts when they can't even sustain one? What's the end-game? Please enlighten me. 

Martina P wrote:

I don't even understand the rationale. Why do these people want multiple accounts when they can't even sustain one? What's the end-game? Please enlighten me. 

Upwork doesn't verify accounts until *after* you start making money, so you can scam some hapless trusting client into giving you a couple hundred bucks on your first job and then we go into the "it's so cheap to live in whateversville and they make $3 a year and it's so much money to them" and now you got these people scamming some <insert first world country> out of $100 and it's worth it to them.

I feel like I have a right to be angry about this and it kinda chaps my butt that mods remove my stuff but my fees get to pay for this garbage. I think I'm holding in my rage pretty good if I do say so myself.

This is where the no more free connects thing may prove useful on the long run.

If **Edited for Community Guidelines** has to spend $20, for instance, to land a job and scam some poor dude, he may think twice.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless

Rene K wrote:

This is where the no more free connects thing may prove useful on the long run.

If**Edited for Community Guidelines**has to spend $20, for instance, to land a job and scam some poor dude, he may think twice.

Yeah, you are right. I'm a bit peeved that they let complete **Edited for Community Guidelines** on the platform and their answer to control it is to always hit the legitimate moneymakers with more fees. We're not allowed to point out these fake profiles, but we get to *pay* for them as they continue to allow them on the platform.

I'm being ragey too. Sorry mods. Just let me vent and I'll go do other things and calm down soon.

Jennifer M wrote:

I'm a bit peeved that they let complete garbage on the platform and their answer to control it is to always hit the legitimate moneymakers with more fees. We're not allowed to point out these fake profiles, but we get to *pay* for them as they continue to allow them on the platform.

I'm being ragey too. Sorry mods. Just let me vent and I'll go do other things and calm down soon.

Yeah, I'm with you there. As far as I can tell, the 15 cent connects are so far having little or no impact at the cheap end of the marketplace where we were all told that it would get rid of the spam bids. And any suggestion of raising the minimum hourly rate and/or project minimum - even the tiniest little bit - to get rid of both scammy clients and scammy freelancers is always met with resistance. It seems like the most professional freelancers and best clients are being hit with all the fees while the low end of the marketplace continues to drag the whole website down. I keep reading about how difficult it is to get your profile approved and how Upwork is turning away tens of thousands of freelancers every day, and yet the marketplace is still full of English translators who can't speak English, writers who can't spell, and designers without a single item in their portfolios. I'd love to see who they're turning away.

mtngigi
Community Member

@lysis10 wrote:

Martina P wrote:

Upwork doesn't verify accounts until *after* you start making money, so you can scam some hapless trusting client into giving you a couple hundred bucks on your first job and then we go into the "it's so cheap to live in whateversville and they make $3 a year and it's so much money to them" and now you got these people scamming some <insert first world country> out of $100 and it's worth it to them.

I feel like I have a right to be angry about this and it kinda chaps my butt that mods remove my stuff but my fees get to pay for this garbage. I think I'm holding in my rage pretty good if I do say so myself.

If it's any consolation, we're all feeling "ragey".

All U has to do is not make it so easy to create a profile (and post to the forums) - enough already!!) - catch this stuff up front, to save god knows how much time, energy and resources spent trying to appease PO'd clients.

Anonymous-User
Not applicable

I just found someone on FB posting a notice that they will give anyone free UW profile approval if they message him with their education, skills, etc. 

The response was overwhelming with "I need one". 

Passing it to Support.

Hi Cairenn,

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. If you'd like to share more information, please send me a PM and I'll be sure to share it with the team for review. 

~ Joanne
Upwork

Cairenn R wrote:

I just found someone on FB posting a notice that they will give anyone free UW profile approval if they message him with their education, skills, etc. 

The response was overwhelming with "I need one". 

Passing it to Support.

There's also at least one person on Fiverr offering this service, which is pretty ironic. But he charges $6.94, so I'd go with the free offer.

I guess sometimes undercutting works. blackhatworld guy charges $100.

Jennifer M wrote:

I guess sometimes undercutting works. blackhatworld guy charges $100.

For $100 they probably throw in some stolen portfolio items as well. You get what you pay for.

incomer007
Community Member

Thank you Petra R. for your suggestion in this regard.

Thank you, Abdullah, for the dignity and grace with which you responded to the hijacking of your thread.

Best,

Michael

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths