🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » sharing email after bidding
Page options
hoque_tawhid02
Community Member

sharing email after bidding

Hi,

I have applied for a job.In job description,client mention that need to provide a small demo.so after bidding client messaged  me and tell me to make a demo so he can select me if he likes my work.For that purpose,he asked me my email. 

Can I share my mail to him?? is that allowed ?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
feed_my_eyes
Community Member

No, it isn't okay to share contact information before a contract is in place, and it shouldn't be necessary just to send the client a file; you could upload to a free service like We Transfer and send him a link instead. Anyway, if this client has asked you to create this demo for free, then that's also against the terms of service; if he needs to see a test, then he should pay you for it.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
prestonhunter
Community Member

Why can't you send the demo as a zip file attachment using Upwork Messages?

Why can't the client make a decision based on your portfolio?

Did the prospective client ask for a demo that is something you decide on your own to make? Or did he specify what to make? If he specified what to make, then is this "client" just tricking you into doing the work for free?

He needs my email to start time tracker so check spped of my work

re: "He needs my email to start time tracker so check speed of my work"

I doubt that anyone here understands what you are talking about.

But to answer your specific question:

Yes, Upwork allows freelancers to provide an email address to prospective clients for specific technical reasons related to deciding if the freelancer is right for the project and for the freelancer to verify technical feasibility. But when you provide your email address you must remind the client that the email address is NOT to be used for communication until after a contract is in place.

Indeed.

I tell clients not to corespond via our email addresses because... email is not 100% guaranteed to arrive. 

Yes, use your email clients software to repsoned to messge via Upwork, rather than loggin in if need be.

My reasons: UpWork message borad will show our messages in order, to save oncfusions at times. AND it is also a place where all attachments and messages will be available at any time.
PLUS, there is the smartphone APP too, to see all messages in the time they were sent, and messages etc.

Safe AND more reliable all around I think... I have had my main email addressesnow for 21 and 23 years... and they are still not 100% reliable when sending or recieving. 

I AM THE TYPO KING! LOL... and even this short message had a TYPO! 

feed_my_eyes
Community Member

No, it isn't okay to share contact information before a contract is in place, and it shouldn't be necessary just to send the client a file; you could upload to a free service like We Transfer and send him a link instead. Anyway, if this client has asked you to create this demo for free, then that's also against the terms of service; if he needs to see a test, then he should pay you for it.

Community Member

Can someone please confirm this

I read Alot of Comments about sharing Email to a client. Some people says its Allowed some people says its against TOS Am Confused

Scenerio : Suppose i i want to see Client Google slides file and he asked me for my email before any Contract.
is it a Voilation or its ok?

Hi Ali,

Thank you for your message. I would like to clarify that sharing your email address or any other contact information before accepting an offer from the client is considered a violation of Upwork TOS.

Thank you

Pradeep

Upwork

The client can send you a link on Upwork message without having your personnal email. He just has to put it «puclic»

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths