cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

should Upwork actually make it *harder* for clients to post jobs?

resonator
Frank V Member Since: May 10, 2016
1 of 32

I`ve got a specific question: I did not do the math, but an estimated 85 percent of the jobs I apply to do not get awarded.

Not to me and not to anybody else. They just expire.

To me this is a big problem because so much time gets waisted sifting through the job search feed (and not only that, sometimes invite only jobs do not go anywhere either), writing thoughtful proposals, sometimes messaging back and forth with a potential client because they are not really sure yet what they want, and so on. Only to get a message from the systems weeks later that the job was canceled or has expired.

So, I am wondering: why not put up incentives for the clients to only post jobs when they are actually serious  about it and, also, to think first what it is they need.

How about, if clients would have to pay 10 bucks to post a job - is this idea really as crazy as it sounds?

Or why not have mandatory information clients must fill out. Just to avoid job post of the "I need a writer" variety.

What do y´all think?

Thanks in advance, 

Frank

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
2 of 32

@Frank V wrote:

How about, if clients would have to pay 10 bucks to post a job - is this idea really as crazy as it sounds?

Yes! It is as crazy as it sounds.

I want absolutely nothing that would turn off genuine clients, and this would do it.The trick is to apply more selectively.

jefframlee
Community Guru
Jeff R Member Since: Apr 17, 2015
3 of 32

Only 10 bucks? Hmm.. how 'bout 20% of their budget?

petra_r
Community Guru
4 of 32

@Jeff R wrote:

Only 10 bucks? Hmm.. how 'bout 20% of their budget?

Great idea, let's just get rid of clients altogether, shut the site down, problem solved..... 

mwiggenhorn
Community Guru
Mary W Member Since: Nov 10, 2014
5 of 32

What you aren't taking into account is that these clients may be posting these jobs on other platforms, advertising them locally, dropping their project and/or hiring from within.  While it would be nice for them to close the job listing, it just doesn't happen.

My advice is to send the best proposal you can and then forget about it and move on.  Occasionally, clients will come back after a long delay and hire here.  IMO, it just isn't worth worrying about.

bc94
Community Guru
Reem H Member Since: Feb 8, 2017
6 of 32
no they punish the freelancers for that by suspending accounts with too many proposals and too few contracts
jefframlee
Community Guru
Jeff R Member Since: Apr 17, 2015
7 of 32

@Reem H wrote:
no they punish the freelancers for that by suspending accounts with too many proposals and too few contracts

oh.. they do that? hmm.. i should stop my bad habit of applying for jobs when i'm already in the middle of projects.

just hate seeing unused connects go to waste every month.

bc94
Community Guru
8 of 32

@Jeff R wrote:

@Reem H wrote:

oh.. they do that? hmm.. i should stop my bad habit of applying for jobs when i'm already in the middle of projects.

lol it looks like you've been here for a while, they do it with newbies mostly

and some inactive Top Rated ones

In just 2 days I've already seen 3 people have their accounts suspended just as they were starting to get more work and make some money, it's frustrating and unfair.

petra_r
Community Guru
9 of 32

@Reem H wrote:

@Jeff R wrote:

@Reem H wrote:

lol it looks like you've been here for a while, they do it with newbies mostly

and some inactive Top Rated ones

In just 2 days I've already seen 3 people have their accounts suspended just as they were starting to get more work and make some money, it's frustrating and unfair.

Reem, there are dozens of reasons why accounts may get suspended, try not to judge without any insight into any facts at all, PLEASE.

i have never seen a top rated freelancer suspended for not winning enough contracts..... 

bc94
Community Guru
10 of 32

I know these 3 people and all said they received emails stating that they're suspended due to too many proposals (one even attached a screenshot of the email) and they tried appealing only to get automated messages.
That's just today and yesterday... who knows how many more out there

I agree with Upwork removing inactive/fake/hopeless profiles but it can be handled much better, this is not the way to do it.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS