cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

should Upwork actually make it *harder* for clients to post jobs?

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
11 of 32

@Reem H wrote:

I know these 3 people and all said they received emails stating that they're suspended due to too many proposals (one even attached a screenshot of the email) 

And they were TOP RATED?

bc94
Community Guru
Reem H Member Since: Feb 8, 2017
12 of 32
Petra,
those 3 weren't but they were actually on their way the had good JSS

there was one a while back who WAS Top Rated and got his account suspended
lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
13 of 32

@Reem H wrote:

I know these 3 people and all said they received emails stating that they're suspended due to too many proposals (one even attached a screenshot of the email) and they tried appealing only to get automated messages.
That's just today and yesterday... who knows how many more out there

I agree with Upwork removing inactive/fake/hopeless profiles but it can be handled much better, this is not the way to do it.

That means they are losers. If you are generating cash for the site, you have nothing to worry about. They are just focusing on their bottom line like anyone else should, so if those people lost their accounts for that reason then they weren't cut out for this place and should take the hint.

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
14 of 32

Hi Reem,

I can confirm that Top Rated freelancers and freelancers who are actively winning contracts and working on them aren't being suspended as a part of this program. Please, refer to Garnor's original post on the thread I linked to find out more about the program.

~ Valeria
Upwork
jefframlee
Community Guru
Jeff R Member Since: Apr 17, 2015
15 of 32

Yea i know... clients keep the site running... gotta keep em happy

dvillares
Ace Contributor
Daniel C Member Since: Jul 22, 2016
16 of 32

I think if clients do this over and over, there should be consequences. Their accounts should be suspended for a while. They're wasting people's valuable time. The connects should also be returned to freelancers.

If they do it once because they found a freelancer on another website, it's okay. Connects should be returned still.

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
BEST ANSWER
17 of 32

Hi Frank and others,

Upwork team is working on some programs that would address client accounts with very low hire rates as well as duplicate and spam job posts. That said, there are no plans to start charging clients for posting jobs.

~ Valeria
Upwork

View solution in original post

yitwail
Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
18 of 32

Rather than charging a fee for posting a job, my wish has always been that clients should be required to verify payment method. And every time I suggest this, veteran freelancers will pounce on me to tell me what a terrible idea this is, so I don't suggest it anymore. If merely verifying payment method is a no-no, then a fee for posting a job is in the realm of fantasy.

Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
19 of 32

@John K wrote:

Rather than charging a fee for posting a job, my wish has always been that clients should be required to verify payment method. And every time I suggest this, veteran freelancers will pounce on me to tell me what a terrible idea this is, so I don't suggest it anymore. If merely verifying payment method is a no-no, then a fee for posting a job is in the realm of fantasy.

From my perspective, they're exactly the same. In seeking a freelancer, I'd be no more likely to enter credit card information in order to try out a site than I would be to put down a small deposit. I don't see the payment as a higher barrier, just another barrier of the same nature as requiring payment verification.

This widget could not be displayed.
20 of 32
This widget could not be displayed.

For me some barriers are too low: freelancer and client requirements as well and this is a source of fraud on Upwork. If the client barrier is so low I have to raise my own barrier.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS