cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

sneaky competitors inviting you to non-existing jobs?

bronson_
Ace Contributor
Bronson L Member Since: Jul 28, 2015
1 of 17

I got an invite to an "invite only project" today, looked like a potential client.

Given that we cannot see the client details until we accept the invitation and submit our proposal, I went ahead and applied. 

After submitting my proposal, I saw the client details, looked him up and he is a competitor offering my same service right here on upwork. (with some seemingly suspicious glowing reviews, I might add). 

Have you experienced this? Should I report the profile to upwork? Strange.

versailles
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
2 of 17

I'm sure this happens every now and then. Either they want to see how it looks from the client side, or they seek ideas for their cover letter or they want to gage the competition or they want to subcontract a job, who knows.

You may send it to the Customer Support so they can have a look...

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
colettelewis
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
3 of 17

@Rene K wrote:

I'm sure this happens every now and then. Either they want to see how it looks from the client side, or they seek ideas for their cover letter or they want to gage the competition or they want to subcontract a job, who knows.

You may send it to the Customer Support so they can have a look...

Definitely send it to CS to check.  It is against Upwork's terms of service if the freelancer is phishing, but it could be difficult to prove unfortunately. 

yitwail
Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
4 of 17

Bronson, the client/freelancer who invited you *can* hire a subcontractor from Upwork, provided it's for a non-Upwork client, *or*, it's a fixed price contract and the real client is notified that the work will be done by a subcontractor.

Wendy C Member Since: Aug 24, 2015
5 of 17

Adding to Rene's thoughts -

The other reason is to get an idea of how competitors write their pitches.  Invites still require a proposal aka pitch.

This widget could not be displayed.
6 of 17
This widget could not be displayed.

And there was a freelancer who admitted in the community that he placed job offers himself in order to check the ranking of his own profile.

bronson_
Ace Contributor
Bronson L Member Since: Jul 28, 2015
7 of 17

@Wendy C wrote:

Adding to Rene's thoughts -

The other reason is to get an idea of how competitors write their pitches.  Invites still require a proposal aka pitch.

Exactly this, which is why I am annoyed about it. 

jcullinan
Community Guru
Jess C Member Since: Feb 18, 2015
8 of 17

Definitely report him. There is zero reason not to.

healthcarequeen
Queen J Member Since: Aug 7, 2015
9 of 17

I have suspected stuff like that happens.  They are probably trying to copy your proposal.  One of the downsides to using Upwork is not knowing whom you are submitting a proposal to as most clients do not put their business or other identifying names in the job description.  

vladag
Community Manager
Vladimir G Community Manager Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
10 of 17

Hi Bronson,

Posting a job without the intention to hire is a violation of Upwork ToS, so please share the job and other relevant details with our team if you believe the client is not looking to hire a freelancer for their job.

Untitled
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS