cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

sneaky competitors inviting you to non-existing jobs?

garyrhill1
Ace Contributor
Gary H Member Since: Mar 25, 2016
11 of 17

@Vladimir G wrote:

Hi Bronson,

Posting a job without the intention to hire is a violation of Upwork ToS, so please share the job and other relevant details with our team if you believe the client is not looking to hire a freelancer for their job.

This is a new one to me!!! If this is infact the case, then half (maybe exgerated) the clients on here should be booted off for never hiring anyone!!!

bronson_
Ace Contributor
Bronson L Member Since: Jul 28, 2015
12 of 17

@Vladimir G wrote:

Hi Bronson,

Posting a job without the intention to hire is a violation of Upwork ToS, so please share the job and other relevant details with our team if you believe the client is not looking to hire a freelancer for their job.

What is the best way to do this? Just click the "Flag as inappropriate" button? 

colettelewis
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
13 of 17

I would submit a request to CS giving details of the job post etc. (Be prepared for a generic response though.)

novikovma
Ace Contributor
Mikhail N Member Since: Jul 18, 2015
14 of 17

My 2 cents here: any proposal that *can* be copypasted and used by someone else is already a bad enough proposal. Write better ones, they will be unique to you and it will be pointless to copy.

wendy_writes
Community Guru
Wendy C Member Since: Aug 24, 2015
15 of 17

Mikhail,  I don't think you are sanctioning this nonsense which is theft ... you might want to clarify your post.

novikovma
Ace Contributor
Mikhail N Member Since: Jul 18, 2015
16 of 17

A good proposal is the one that stresses out someone's previous experience on similar projects in a way that is easy to verify. Like, "Yes i built these and these projects which used the same stack and were from the same industry, of them, this one received a $20 million follow-up funding: here is my article on their website. And this one was featured in Forbes, i was mentioned on page 31 in July 10 issue". Would it make sense for anybody to copy-paste that? If they can easily check that the copycat didn't do any of that. That is also a killer proposal which more or less guarantees you to get hired.

A proposal saying something like "yes i am a great experienced developer in this, this, and this libraries, let's have an interview asap!" is easy to copy but also leaves little chances of getting hired even for its original author.

Of course i am not justifying copycats, i am just telling that the more good and specific your cover letter is, the less chance for you to become their victim.

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
17 of 17

Yep. I am not so sure I've had this here (I could be wrong) but on Elance I think it happened a couple of times.

It's useless for them to do it to me because I don't respond in the same way as a cold bid in the marketplace. The one time I was kinda thinking maybe it was a competitor here, I just wrote back "need more info" and that's it.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS