cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[solved] Does one normally get the money after a milestone?

choy-jason
Jason C Member Since: Nov 3, 2016
1 of 5

Sorry I am new to Upwork, I have a question.

I am doing a project right now and just received my first milestone, about $500, the total amount is $1000.

I looked at my linked bank account and don't see any transactions.

Is that normal, or do I only get the money after I earned the $1000?

Thanks in advance.

Edit: thanks everyone for their response.

colettelewis
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
2 of 5

If the first milestone was funded and you have completed the work and asked for release of the first milestone, then your client has 14 days to approve the milestone. If it is approved immediately, or within a few days, the payment will then go from "in review" to "pending" in your job "reports" page. If the client does nothing at all, then the milestone will be automatically paid into your account. Please note that, if it is the latter, this can take up to twenty days before you get paid.

You will not get paid the full $1000  until the second milestone is set up and funded with the second $500, and you have delivered the work and asked for release of the escrow fund.

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
BEST ANSWER
3 of 5

@jason C wrote:

Sorry I am new to Upwork, I have a question.

I am doing a project right now and just received my first milestone, about $500, the total amount is $1000.

I looked at my linked bank account and don't see any transactions.

Is that normal, or do I only get the money after I earned the $1000?

Thanks in advance.

The client has already approved $ 500 (as it is already showing on your profile)

Take a look at your My Reports Page - is it showing as "pending?"

You can withdraw your available funds once they are showing under "available"

Don't expect money to just appear in your linked bank account, depending on your settings you may need to manually withdraw the money.

This might help

View solution in original post

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
4 of 5

Hi Jason,

To add to what Nichola and Petra have already explained, please make sure the client sets up and funds the next milestone before you start working on the next part of the project.

~ Valeria
Upwork
abitoguna
Ace Contributor
Akinbode A Member Since: Nov 1, 2016
5 of 5

Hello Jason,

After the client must have released funds to you after a milestone, you won't be able to access the funds not until after 5 days (upwork security measures). After the 5 days, the funds will be available for withdrawal into your payment method.

Now if you don't have an automatic payment schedule, your payment won't be sent to your linked bank account. To get paid, go to settings from your account drop down menu and click get paid.

Visit here for more info.

Akinbode A.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS