🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » spam messages flooding on my stream
Page options
monja2009
Community Member

spam messages flooding on my stream

Hi every one

Last week I started noticing a series of spam messages on my feed titled "we need logo designer" with high amount incentive ($1599 if I am correct) and a btly link to check. The post comes all from new unverified accounts, one new account for each post published. I flagged several of them that day, hoping that could be useful to hint someone and check. There is most likely a bot working to send all these messages. The day after, I notices that nothing changed and actually the kind of posts have varied. Today it's the 4th days and my stream is literally flooded. I am a graphic designer, so I don't know if this is happening for other fields as well, but the feedback I sent didn't bring any success. 

Is there a technical team that can be contacted? 

6 REPLIES 6
g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Monia,

Thank you for flagging this, I will escalate it to our team to take proper actions as soon as possible.

~ Goran
Upwork
monja2009
Community Member

Hi Goran

That's great. Thanks a lot for your prompt reply. 

Have a great day

00137e0a
Community Member

This same bot has been publishing the exact same job several times a day, for days now...I've lost count of how many of these posts I've reported so far. 

This is not my field of expertise, but how hard could it be for Upwork to simply block such basic spam mechanics? 

I've noticed the same thing. But I'm sure Upwork is doing everything they can to stop spam from appearing in our feeds, because how good could it be for clients, freelancers, and Upwork itself to not do that? Still, just from the amount of spam I see, it's clear that these spammers must be very clever and using incredibly advanced cyber tactics to successfully evade Upwork's efforts.

Peter G wrote:

I've noticed the same thing. But I'm sure Upwork is doing everything they can to stop spam from appearing in our feeds, because how good could it be for clients, freelancers, and Upwork itself to not do that? Still, just from the amount of spam I see, it's clear that these spammers must be very clever and using incredibly advanced cyber tactics to successfully evade Upwork's efforts.

Yes - the incredibly advanced bitly attack. This has been a problem no cyber security firm has ever been able to resolve. I'd image the bitly attack is right up there in complexity with the Traveling Salesman, or even P vs NP.

7f9b79df
Community Member

Yep - the bitly spam flood continues. Here's a post from last month that had several ideas to curtail the spam issue. But, the consensus appears to be Upwork likely has other priorities than to create solutions to curtail the flood of spam. 

https://community.upwork.com/t5/Freelancers/Continuous-Spam-Links-in-Jobs/m-p/991614 

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members