🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: start job without offer
Page options
realeric
Community Member

start job without offer

Hi, I am about to start a job with a new client. He asked me to send proposal to be reviewed. Is this how it supposed to go through? I thought client will need to make offer first as a prove that he has deposit in Escrow?

Please advise. Thanks

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "start job without offer "

No. Don't do that.

re: "He asked me to send proposal to be reviewed. Is this how it supposed to go through? I thought client will need to make offer first as a prove that he has deposit in Escrow?"

Yes, you are supposed to send a "proposal."

That means you explain BRIEFLY what work you will do.

You don't actually DO the work.

Here is a proposal:

"I will draw a picture of a friendly cat wearing a funny hat. The picture will be in color and will be in the same style as the other pictures in my portfolio. I will provide a high-resolution scan of the picture to you as a .png file."

That's all. You don't actually draw the cat.

re: "I thought client will need to make offer first as a prove that he has deposit in Escrow?"

Yes, that is right. Before you actually do any work, the client will fund an escrow payment for the full amount of the payment you expect to receive for the work.

(If this is a fixed-price contract, and not an hourly contract.)

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
lysis10
Community Member

eric t wrote:

Hi, I am about to start a job with a new client. He asked me to send proposal to be reviewed. Is this how it supposed to go through? I thought client will need to make offer first as a prove that he has deposit in Escrow?

Please advise. Thanks

Yep! You are correct. He needs to hire you first, which means he sends an offer that you accept.

prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "start job without offer "

No. Don't do that.

re: "He asked me to send proposal to be reviewed. Is this how it supposed to go through? I thought client will need to make offer first as a prove that he has deposit in Escrow?"

Yes, you are supposed to send a "proposal."

That means you explain BRIEFLY what work you will do.

You don't actually DO the work.

Here is a proposal:

"I will draw a picture of a friendly cat wearing a funny hat. The picture will be in color and will be in the same style as the other pictures in my portfolio. I will provide a high-resolution scan of the picture to you as a .png file."

That's all. You don't actually draw the cat.

re: "I thought client will need to make offer first as a prove that he has deposit in Escrow?"

Yes, that is right. Before you actually do any work, the client will fund an escrow payment for the full amount of the payment you expect to receive for the work.

(If this is a fixed-price contract, and not an hourly contract.)

Hi, thanks for the reply, i have asked the client to do offer fist

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Eric, 

I would also like to share and recommend to check out the "Safety First!" section of the freelancer resources we have compiled, and these tips for avoiding questionable jobs for more information about working safely through Upwork.

~ Avery
Upwork
realeric
Community Member

Thanks!

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths