Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

strange notification from Odesk

Community Guru
Sanja D Member Since: Dec 18, 2013
1 of 7

Today I received a strange email and notification from Odesk:

"Your documents for ID Verification have been received. We will get back to you within 10 days."

The thing is - I didn't submit anything except the ticket with a question regarding the job being awarded to me by mistake (client obviously clicked on the wrong button, lol). Support informed me that the job in question can't be deleted, so I'm stuck with the job that wasn't paid and has no feedback. I think that job will negatively impact my stats - I don't think that's fair...

So, I guesss I have two questions - will the job that was awarded to me by mistake have negative impact on my stats, and what's the deal with ID verification message?

Hope someone (Garnor, Vlad) can help...

thanks in advance,

Sanja

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
2 of 7

Can't you communicate with the client and ask him if he could, since he put you in this situation, pay you for some small amount of work that would be useful to him, and then close the contract?

Community Leader
Sadan M Member Since: Sep 3, 2010
3 of 7

Sanja,

In my opinion a client cannot hire you by mistake. From your profile your field of expertise appear to be Logo Design & Graphic Design and you charge $40/hr for that work.Clearly this rate is on a high side as compared to most of the freelancers working in the same field. Even if it was a fixed price project I am sure your bid rate would be higher than most of the freelancer providing the same services.

I guess the client is making this up to cover up for something which has happened with me a lot i.e. The client went with a cheaper alternative and gave you this excuse that he hired you by mistake. This is something very common specially when you charge a higher rate as compared to others. I have around 15 or so contracts where the clients went with cheaper alternatives after hiring me. Most of them just used to disappear and others just used to end the contract with silly reasons.

One of the clients on Odesk shared project details with me, spent 2 hours on discussing the project on Skype and than hired me. The next day he ended my contract and when I asked him the reason he simply said "I want somebody who is more involved in the project" . I was like I have not even worked for 5 minutes on the project so how can you judge that I am somebody who will not be involved in the project ? Later on it turned out that he had hired another developer at almost half of the price I had been hired for to work on the application. I truly believe this is something oDesk should not consider when calculating our success rate. 

Community Guru
Isabelle Anne A Member Since: May 19, 2014
4 of 7

I'm confused. How does a client hire you/award you a job "by mistake"? Surely YOU first have to accept the contract before it reflects under your jobs?

Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
5 of 7

Hi Sanja,

I am sorry to hear about the problem you are experiencing. Please contact Customer Support, so they can look into the issue and help you with it.

Community Guru
Sanja D Member Since: Dec 18, 2013
6 of 7

Well, basically the client said he's embarrased, and that he's already working with another designer - I checked and he indeed posted another job where he hired a designer with higher rate than mine - so the price was not the issue here. On the job I applied to I was the only one hired.

I have no idea what to do with that job - the client closed it and it just sits there with no feedback and no money paid. I contacted support, as Vladimir suggested - they told me that nothing could be done - jobs can't be deleted End of story for support team (I doubt they even looked at the issue). This is totally weird - clients can hire you, close the job as they wish (35 seconds after awarding the job) without any work being done and you're stuck with thier "mistakes" , and, on top of it all, they're having negative impact on your stats. I tried to explain to support what is the main issue - but they kept sending copy / paste stuff, so I gave up

*fuming*

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
7 of 7

Hi Sanja,

I am sorry about the frustration. The job where no money has been paid will not show on your public profile, although you will be able to find it and view the details in your Contracts tab. Also, one job ended by the client without maney paid of feedback given is not going to hurt your Stats.

~ Valeria
Untitled
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS