🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » suspicious client
Page options
bettinahughes20
Community Member

suspicious client

Hi, I get the feeling a client ( who i was going to start work with but havent yet)  is not really looking for textile design freelancers, maybe something else. They are asking me to meet them on the week-end and where do i live etc.

I may be wrong, but can you please check them out.

I hope I am wrong, but it is alittle strange

There name is 

**Edited for community guidelines**

regards Bettina

3 REPLIES 3
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "can you please check them out."

No.

Upwork is not going to check them out.

You will decide if you want to work with this client or not.

I have been hired by clients who I met in person. Not at my house, but at a restaurant or at their place of business. You are allowed to do that. You are not required to do that if you aren't comfortable doing so.

As long as you have been officially hired with an Upwork contract, there are no limitations on what tools you use to communicate, and you are welcome to meet on person.

Prior to being officially hired, all communication should take place on the Upwork platform itself.

JoanneP

Hi Bettina,

If you see a job that seems suspicious, you can report it to us using the flagging option. You can read more on this help article and also, please check out Tips to avoid questionable jobs. You might also want to check out the information here to learn more about staying safe on Upwork. 

~ Joanne
Upwork
feed_my_eyes
Community Member

You definitely should NOT give this client (or any other stranger) your address. There may sometimes be a legitimate reason to have an in-person business meeting with a client, but if they haven't given you one, then don't agree to that either. 

If there IS some legitimate reason - they want to show you fabric samples or something that needs to be done in person - then choose a busy coffee shop in the middle of the day, and tell the client that you can only stay for half an hour and you'll be bringing your assistant with you. That should put an end to any nonsense. But I'd say that if you're getting a creepy vibe of any kind, then you shouldn't meet this client at all. Anyone can obtain a fake email address, give a fake name and start a client account here, so it's not like Upwork can do a background check and advise you on what to do - you'll have to listen to your instincts.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members