Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 


Active Member
Ana C Member Since: Aug 28, 2016
1 of 14

Hello, I'm new in Upwork and I was wondering how it really worked.

I'm currently a student, I have no prior real working experience and I am still dependent of my parents. I wanted to join the site to work as a freelancer to help with some extra money.

But I don't know if this is compatible with how the site works, I might be sounding ignorant but I have been searching in the site and still don't know how this works... Could I put other person's (parets) tax information (and in the W-8BEN form) or should I put mine even though I'm not technically a taxpayer?

Sorry, I'm confused.

Thanks in advance!

Community Guru
Garnor M Member Since: Oct 29, 2014
2 of 14

Hi Ana,

I'm not sure of the tax laws that govern where you reside, but in terms of what's entered on your profiile and settings, it should be only your information. The expectation for your profile is that it truthfully represents you.



View solution in original post

Community Guru
Scott E Member Since: Jul 26, 2015
3 of 14

You should have an NIF? If not, you can probably get away with your DNI.

"Welcome, humans. I'm ready for you!"
- Box, Logan's Run (1976)
Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
4 of 14


Dependent or not, you are probably subject to a threshold of earned income that triggers tax liability. It is your responsibility to find out whether there is such a threshold, and its tax consequences (including how it may affect your dependent status). Tax information is readily available from taxing authorities.


Community Guru
Maria T Member Since: Nov 12, 2015
5 of 14

Hola Ana,


**Edited for Community Guidelines**


With the number of identity card and letter, it is sufficient. It is actually your NIF.

You'll need to download the bills and then make the VAT return. If I were you, I commented with a counselor, everything is a bit complicated for Europe because they don't provide us with real bills. Only the data of the amount you put into your proposal and what UP has claimed you would be the costs incurred.
The W-8BEN, to my knowledge, is only for US workers. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

On the other hand, and I hope you do not take this wrong, I think the hourly rate you put is very low. Although only want to do this as a complement and to earn some money, I think you should check it out.


**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Community Guru
Maria T Member Since: Nov 12, 2015
6 of 14

Hi Valeria K,


Since it was you who edited my message, I turn to you.

As I know we can not write in a language other than English, I wrote it in two languages. As English is not my language, and I do not control it well, I wrote in Spanish, since I was answering a person of Spanish language, and I express myself best.

A simple translation, as I must to do many times from English, and you'll see that I'm writing is the same. I'm not conspiring or anything like that.

Community Guru
Daniel P Member Since: Aug 15, 2014
7 of 14
Maria, the W-8BEN is for all non-US freelancers.

It's basically a declaration that you don't live in the US and therefore don't have to pay tax to the US government on your earnings.
Community Guru
Maria T Member Since: Nov 12, 2015
8 of 14

Daniel, thank you very much for the clarification.
This is the problem that arises when English is not your language and you have to translate it as you can, especially for legal issues are already confusing in itself.

Therefore, I as a Spanish citizen, should I fill out the W-8EN form?
What it does, it benefits me something? If I do not fill, I can have a problem?

Work on other websites and I have not seen any of this. I'll look good in the help documentation if I have overlooked.

Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
9 of 14

Hi Maria, 

You should fill-in the details requested in the W-8BEN form, which is a requirement for all non-US citizens. You need to complete this in order to be allowed to withdraw your earnings from Upwork. 

Community Guru
Maria T Member Since: Nov 12, 2015
10 of 14

Hi Avery,


So far, nobody has told me I should fill this document and withdraw money several times in UP.

If I have already sent all necessary identification data and these clearly say that I am not a US citizen, what I have to fill it?
Why I could get my money if they did not have the document?
Is there a Spanish version of the document and instructions in Spanish?