🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » the beneficiary name on your payment method d...
Page options
sandee_miranda
Community Member

Beneficiary name is mismatched

My direct to bank payment method has been deactivated since my upwork account name does not match the name in my bank account---this is because I previously used my nickname when I created this account.

But I have already edited my details to replace my nickname with my full name here in upwork. Any chance you could have my payment method activated already?

Thank you!

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AndreaG

Hi all,

Our account support team actively reviews verified name mismatches. Please allow up to 48 hours for the team to review the name mismatch on your account. If our team finds an issue with your payment method, we will reach out to you directly with instructions on how to correct it. You can learn more about this here.

If it’s been more than 48 hours and you still see the name mismatch notification on your account, a quick way to contact support is by clicking the "Get Support" button that shows at the bottom right corner of this page.

This thread has been closed from further replies due to its size. We appreciate your participation in the Community and welcome you to continue the conversation here.

Thank you!

~Andrea
Upwork

View solution in original post

3,078 REPLIES 3,078

Hi Oleg,

Please allow up to 24 hours for the team to review your account for the name mismatch. They’ll let you know if any further steps are required from you.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork
katrinanorton
Community Member

Hi there!
There's an issue with my "Payment method verification" as the "beneficiary name" is a mismatch. I believe this is because my bank account is under my full name "Katrina", but I made my Upwork under my commonly used name of "Kat".
I've been waiting for a short while for this to be reviewed and resolved, but I haven't heard anything. What are the steps that I can take from here?
Thanks in advance!

Hi Katrina,

Please, allow up to 24 hours for the team to review your account for the name mismatch. They’ll let you know if any further steps are required from you.

~ Nikola
Upwork

Thank you very much, Nikola.
I have been waiting for just over a week already, and I've not been contacted since your message nor has the issue been resolved. I'll continue to wait, as I'm sure the team is busy - but I hope to hear something as I'd love to have this resolved. 🙂
Thanks again!

Hi Katrina,

Thank you for your understanding and your patience! I followed up with the team handling your case and your name mismatch issue should now be resolved. Please let us know if you need further assistance. 

~ Nikola
Upwork
salim-mia
Community Member

Greetinds!

Hello Upwork I have faced a little problem. Currenly I cannot withdrow my balance. There are showing my payment method not active. I have already withdrow 3 times. But now I failed withdrow. Please help me. I am new in Upwork. Thanks!

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Hi Salim,

I checked and can see that your payment method is going through a security verification period and should become active on May 24th. The team will let you know if any further steps are required from you. 

Thank you.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
icarloman
Community Member

Hello. I got a prompt that my paypal account has been mismatched with my Upwork account, how can I transfer my money to my paypal account if Upwork wont allow it?

Hi Isidore,

Please allow up to 24 hours for the team to review your account for the name mismatch. They’ll let you know if any further steps are required from you.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork
flololo
Community Member

I received the message "Recipient name does not match", but the email and name from my PayPal account and Upwork are the same. and then I refreshed the page and was unable to access my profile. What should I do?

Hi Margarita,

I shared your report with our team and one of our agents already reached out to you directly via a support ticket to assist you further. You can access your ticket on this page.

~ Nikola
Upwork
meshachmatthew71
Community Member

As i am still in college i do not have my own bank account. So i tried to use my moms account and there was a problem because of the name mismatch.

Hi Meshach,

Thank you for reaching out to us. Please know that to set up payment to your bank or payment account, you must be listed as an account holder or authorized signer on that account, or demonstrate that you are authorized by the business to do so. The listed name on the account must match your verified name on Upwork. You can find more information in this help article

~ Nikola
Upwork
emma_velema
Community Member

Hi team,

The name on my payment account has been manually reviewed by the Upwork staff and did not meet the criteria for acceptance because the name in my Upwork account is different than the name on the payment account. I followed the secure link and have uploaded my ID and Statement document, however, I would want to add another document / chat with the team. The reason my Upwork name is different than my account and ID is that I got married 4 years ago and would like to submit my marriage certificate as proof but haven't been able to find how I can do that. Can anyone send me in the right direction? Many thanks!

Hi Emma,

I checked with the team and the name mismatch was already resolved so there's no need for you to upload more documents. Let me know if you need further help.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork
4bc5adba
Community Member

Help me, please! my Upwork account won't connect to my PayPal because my name is not matching. Please help urgently. 

Why isn't your name matching?

Upwork wants your Upwork account to use your legal name, and it wants your payment withdrawal account (PayPal) to have the same name.

If you do that, there should be no problem.

Hi Kristina,

Please allow 48 hours for your PayPal to be reviewed. If any further information is needed from you our team will reach out directly to assist.

~Andrea
Upwork
bharatsindha
Community Member

Hello, support,

I am facing the below error, and I want to resolve it. Please let me know what process should I follow to resolve it.

This issue raised because I have used my short name on the Upwork account which does not match with the full name of my bank account.

Error: Payment method verification in progress Your payment method has been deactivated because the beneficiary name on your payment method does not match the name on your Upwork account. Please visit our FAQ page for additional information.

Thanks & Regards,

Bharat**Edited for community guidelines**

Hello, Support,

Please help me to resolve the below error. I forgot the answer to the security question.

Error: Your answer to your existing Security Question was incorrect. Please contact customer support

Thanks,
Bharat**Edited for community guidelines**

Hi Bharat,

I checked your account, and it looks like your name mismatch issue has already been resolved. If you are having issues with your security question, please fill in the recovery form here. One of our agents will assist you further in recovering your account. 

~ Joanne
Upwork
mendz101
Community Member

I am facing the same issue

Your payment account name does not match your name on Upwork.. it's because I am now married.. I have not updated the bank yet with my new surname because of the location and because of the pandemic.

Hi Jane,

One of our team members will reach out to you via ticket as soon as possible and assist you further with your payment method. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

i would appreciate if someone would help me i have the same issue

Hi Saif,

Please allow up to 48 hours for the team to review your account for the name mismatch. They’ll let you know if any further steps are required from you.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork

Your payment method has been deactivated because the beneficiary name on your payment method does not match the name on your Upwork account.

I have that notify on my profile, please tell me what to do? Been using that bank account for 2 years and I use that on Upwork when I am about to get paid. Why now, I am having that issue?

Hi Mary,

One of our team members will reach out to you directly via a support ticket to assist you further. You can access your tickets on this page.

~ Nikola
Upwork
907151f4
Community Member

Your payment method has been deactivated because the beneficiary name on your payment method does not match the name on your Upwork account. This error has been arrived on payment section because I have put my father account on my upwork payment section I don't have an account that's I have put my father account number please help me. 

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Muhammad Bilal,

You can use your father's account if it is a joint account that has your name on it. Please, allow up to 48 hours for the team to review your account for the name mismatch. They’ll let you know if any further steps are required from you.

Thank you! 

~ Bojan
Upwork
3523ce5a
Community Member

Hey, I can't manage to add a payment method. It says 'Your payment method has been deactivated because the beneficiary name on your payment method does not match the name on your Upwork account.' - I'm an author so my upwork account is my pen name, I'm not recognized by my real name. Even though I've made the identity verification, my payment method is still deactivated. How can I fix this? 

Hi Wiktoria,

I checked with the team and the name mismatch has already been resolved. Let us know if you need further help.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork
jijigalnash
Community Member

I have error "The beneficiary name is mismatched" with PayPal. My name in PP on russian, in upwork on english. What can I do?

Hi Ali,

Please allow up to 48 hours for the team to review your account for the name mismatch. They’ll let you know if any further steps are required from you.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork
alif_theboss
Community Member

My direct to bank payment method has been deactivated since my upwork account name does not match the name in my bank account---this is because I previously used my fathers bank account to add in upwork as a payment mathod. because, directly i don't have any bank account but it is a joint account in this account have my name also but the power of attorney is my father becuase when i was created this account that time i was under 16 age . i hope you understand please look in to this very soon and solove it . i can provide any kind of information .

Thank you!

Hi MD Afridul,

I can see you were able to submit a support ticket with our team regarding this. Please allow some time for our team to review and they will update you directly via ticket as soon as possible. For more information about Bank Account or Payment Method Under Different Name click here.

~Andrea
Upwork

So now i need to wait?
How many time?

Please allow about 24 to 48 hours for the team to get back to you, MD Afridul.

~Andrea
Upwork
altahsin
Community Member

My full name is hyphenated in the bank account but Upwork doesn't support that as it has the last/first name option. So, the beneficiary name is mismatched. What is the solution?

Hi Abdullah,

Please allow up to 3 days for the verification on your payment method to be completed. If you're still experiencing any problems after this, feel free to follow up here. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Hello there,

I have the exact same problem setting up my PayPal account because my last name I think is abbreviated in Upwork and not in PayPal. Can you please help me out?

Kind regards,

Dennis

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members