🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: the client does not know what he wants
Page options
mayamarkovic
Community Member

the client does not know what he wants

Hi i had  a client for infographic, and  and have agreement about what he want,  I have some  suggestion he didnt want to listen. We have many changes, i made so many different drafts and sending him,  by his instructions, after more drafts, I send him a final version. Yet he is not satisfied so he want to quit my contract. I lost haurs on this client, but he is unprecise and confusing, every time hi want something else.  litle childish. He ask me to give him editable version of infographic so he can change it. What should i do? It doesnt seems right, but i dont want a bed review, i am newbie yet.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
prestonhunter
Community Member

Maja:

Working successfully with clients like this is something that takes thoughtful consideration and also practice.

Not all clients are as experienced or as knowledgeable about proper Upwork practices. That is always going to be a reality.

Experienced freelancers develop strategies that they use when situations such as this come up. One of the main things you can do is to be proactive in your agreements, to indicate what kinds of revisions and how many are part of the contract.

Always keep in mind that a certain percentage of clients do not understand the fixed-price contract model, and they will never understand it, no matter what you do. Often, these clients can still be worked with successfully using an hourly contract.

In your particular situation, the client is asking for the editable version of the infographic, so that he can edit it himself. You could consider telling him:

"Frank:

Thank you again for the opportunity to work on the project. I want you to achieve your goals with this. I feel like there may have been some disconnect between us on this, but I don't want that to stand in the way of you getting the end results that you want. May I suggest a compromise? I can send you the editable version of the file, and you could continue to work with it as you see fit. In return, you can close the contract and release an amount of payment that you feel is appropriate for the work that I did."

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
prestonhunter
Community Member

Maja:

Working successfully with clients like this is something that takes thoughtful consideration and also practice.

Not all clients are as experienced or as knowledgeable about proper Upwork practices. That is always going to be a reality.

Experienced freelancers develop strategies that they use when situations such as this come up. One of the main things you can do is to be proactive in your agreements, to indicate what kinds of revisions and how many are part of the contract.

Always keep in mind that a certain percentage of clients do not understand the fixed-price contract model, and they will never understand it, no matter what you do. Often, these clients can still be worked with successfully using an hourly contract.

In your particular situation, the client is asking for the editable version of the infographic, so that he can edit it himself. You could consider telling him:

"Frank:

Thank you again for the opportunity to work on the project. I want you to achieve your goals with this. I feel like there may have been some disconnect between us on this, but I don't want that to stand in the way of you getting the end results that you want. May I suggest a compromise? I can send you the editable version of the file, and you could continue to work with it as you see fit. In return, you can close the contract and release an amount of payment that you feel is appropriate for the work that I did."

Thank you, that realy sounds ok solution me. But now he doesnt want editable version, he want to make whole new draft..which is i asume whole process again,i dont think i can or want do that with him ..
My question does it really by default i have to give him editable version although i say in my proposal which format i will provide him?
Thank you again

re: "My question does it really by default i have to give him editable version although i say in my proposal which format i will provide him?"

With a fixed-price contract, if you state what format you will provide as a final product, then that is the ONLY thing you are required to provide him.

My suggestion to provide him with the editable version was an attempt at a compromise.

If he wants to start the whole project over again, then obviously he is just being ridiculous.

There may be no "good" way out of this.

I can not tell you what YOU should do. But I can tell you what I would do. I would tell him:

"Frank, I worked hard on this graphic, and I have come to appreciate it, perhaps much more than you do. I would actually like to keep it and use it in my portfolio. But under Upwork rules, I can't keep it if you pay something. I would like you to close the contract, and request a full refund. I will then accept the refund request, and I will be able to retain ownership of the graphic. If you release a payment for the graphic, however, then you will receive ownership of the graphic, and you may do anything you like with it. After this current contract has been closed (one way or another, with or without payment - it is up to you), then we can discuss how to best work on on your new ideas for the project."

Thank you! This is great! I will do something like that, i am newbie still, so this is probably childish problems that everyone new goes tru. It is realife to know that i have options and i dont have obligations for something the client say " it is by default your duty to give me that". Thank you again, i hope i will find the best way to deal this and not ruining my reputation.
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths