cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

the client that does not pay fully. The new episodes of the saga...

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Christine G Member Since: Nov 3, 2017
1 of 6

Hello!

Some new episode on a weir client
Episode 1: I posted a comment here few weeks ago about a client who did not fully fund a job that I accepted (a voice over job) and that I accepted without taking care about the fact that he did not put all the fuds in escrow, but only 2/3 of it.
I delivered my work without noticing that I could be only paid 2/3 and send  gentle reminder after 11 days that the deadline to approve would be few days after and letting him nicely know that it would be great to approve before 14 days.
Then, I waited... no anwer for the client. After 14 days, 2/3only of the total agreed sum has been release aumatically (not by the client who remained silent). I asked the client to pay the fully agreed sum, and ... nothing. No answer, nothing to at least 10 messages I put in the message section in almost a month. I red all your comment here and understood that the client was in fact probably cheating on my, not putting all the sum in escrow and red the terms and condition in Upwork better than I did.

Episode2: Almost 1 month after that - and once I understood that would never be paid for the remaining agreed sum, he message me, answering that he was in "some problems" and could not answer nor act. Well. He said the that he will release the remaining 1/3 "soon". Had to wait for some more hours... and he finally released the funds.

Episode 3: Few days after, he asked me to revise my voice over job because the client revised the script. He was apologizing for his behavior and ask me to record the new script he never told about before and in the first contract.

Episode 4: As he was apparently apologizing himself, and as he left me a good review for my previous work, I thought that I would give it a try, this time with the full amount in escrow. He offered me the same rate as for the first contract. Then, I waited for a new contract to be edited... and nothing.
Episode 5: Two days after, he asked "When can I expect the audio?" an I answered "when can I expect a contract?". I thought then that I could never trust someone like him and decided not to accept the offer he made few hours after.

Episode 6: This client is not asking me to accept and is accusing me to cheat over him, in refusing to work for him again. He is insulting me and said that my behavior is not professional and that I don't have to right to refuse to revise my voice over work and that he already spent hours to work with it with the client, and that I now don't have the right to refuse to work for him again.

Episode 7: I repeated several time that I did not trust him at all anyore and that he does not sound to act properly in offering a contract before asking for the files, even after a first difficult time. He asked me not to message him anymore (he is the one constantly asking me to work for him again and sending me now contrats to record the new script and then accusing me to cheat in refusing to accept the contrats) and that I don't have to cry for 1/3 of the sum, which was not really a big sum - he said.

I guess that I have a legitimate right to refuse to work for him after what  he did, and also to be afraid of what could be a feedback from him even if I am protected by a full amount in escrow this time.
What do you think ? Blocking him would also be a solution I guess. What can Upwork do in this situation to tell the client that I am not cheating on him and that he has to stop ? I really never had such a weird client! As he is offering exactly the sameamount I was suppose to get first to record a script to record the revised script, why don't he hire another freelancer for that ?As my audio files are perfectly clean (no noise, no breather, etc.), why does it say that he already spent hours in working on my previous file ? I guess that the client agreed on my voice and that he cannot change it now...

Thanks for reading all of this and for your advices on that. And you know what ? The funniest part is that the script I had to record is for a policy of an International organization, about harassment at work (!). Well, I feel somehow harassed through my message section :-))
Christine

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
2 of 6

The first contract is closed, right?

You are under no obligation to accept any further contracts from the client.

Personally I would not have got into any kind of argument and accusation-making with the (or any) client. I'd just have declined and said I am too busy.

I do, to a degree, understand the client's irritation as well. You agreed to the new work, you then asked for a contract, and then, when you were sent the offer, you decided you no longer trust the client after he sent you the contract you asked for?

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
3 of 6

You are right Petra. I just should have say that I was too busy, but the argument of the cliet is that as I accepted the first contract, I should agree on taking any new contract to revise the first recording I made on the basis of new scripts, busy or not (and to be honnest, I cannot be "busy" all the time as an excuse to not answer the client. Can I ?
To say it more precisely, I said it would OK and I waited a second contract. Then, as he asked when I would send him my new work without editing a contract as he said he would, I said to myself that he did not change and was trying to get free work from me again. Then, I refused to work for him anymore.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
BEST ANSWER
4 of 6

Christine, just decline the offer and block the client.

Life's too short

Unless he decides to dispute the original contract out of sheer spite that should be the end of it.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
5 of 6

That is what I wanted to do, but I prefered to ask here before. Solution accepted Petra ;-)
Thanks for your input and taking the time!
Christine

Highlighted
Community Guru
Tonya P Member Since: Nov 26, 2015
6 of 6

The "client" probably isn't getting paid any additional funds by his client and is thus hoping to get the work from you for free. Not your problem.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS