Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

there are a lot of Fake Jobs

kat303
Community Guru
Kathy T Member Since: Jul 17, 2015
11 of 28

Mahmoud - I agree with you. There are jobs posted where the client has already posted 50+ jobs with no hires and no money paid. Your guess is as good as mine as to why this is ok. With all the algorithms on here, there should be one that looks at how many jobs posted versus how many hired and clients paid.

There also should be a feature where after 2 or 3 weeks (at the most) if no one is hired, the job should automatically expire no matter how often the client was "active." To be fair to the clients, when a job is about to automatically expire there should be an option to extend the posting for a certain number of weeks (no longer then 3 weeks) with an explanation as to why the job needs to be extended. And after that extension the job should be closed.

fatimahafeez-za
Fatima H Member Since: Jul 1, 2017
12 of 28

I searched this issue today because I apply on many jobs, but today i noticed 6+jobs and 0 hire. I noticed that client is using copied content of other proposals to write a job proposal. So I need an explination of why there is a need to make a fake account, add fake proposals? does it benefit upwork in some way?

faskhan12
Ace Contributor
Fasih K Member Since: May 3, 2016
13 of 28

Totally agreed with Kathy's suggession,

Just want to add one thing for those jobs when expired due to client not hired anyone, the connects should be returned to the freelancers respectively.  This is will be fair  thing otherwise our connects will be wasted in fake jobs which never knew until time weeks gone.

I think the connects should be ONLY consumed when a client hired someone for their job, in all other cases the connects must be returned.

dossy
Community Leader
Ed S Member Since: Oct 27, 2017
14 of 28

@faskhan12 wrote:

I think the connects should be ONLY consumed when a client hired someone for their job, in all other cases the connects must be returned.

No, god please, no.  If you think the people-submitting-garbage-proposals-flooding-buyers-into-going-away problem is bad now, just imagine how much WORSE it will be for clients if people's connects get refunded if they don't get the job!

No, there should be a permanent "cost" to submitting a proposal, so that freelancers wil be more *thoughtful* about what jobs they submit proposals for, which drives up the quality of the proposals that clients receive, which makes Upwork more valuable to them, which makes them more inclined to use Upwork, which means more work for freelancers.

Please, god, no.  Don't ever refund connects.  That will literally ruin this site. 

dossy
Community Leader
Ed S Member Since: Oct 27, 2017
15 of 28

Since Upwork shows you how many other proposals have been submitted, and how long ago the job was posted, what's the problem?

I generally do not bid on a job with more than 10 proposals or more than 1 week old - bidding on those jobs has a low probability of success, so it's not worth the connects.

Sure, it may be annoying to see the same old jobs show up in searches (hint: you can sort results by age, showing newest jobs first), but it's really not that inconvenient to stop paginating through results once you hit the old jobs.

richard_wein
Community Guru
Richard W Member Since: Jun 22, 2017
16 of 28

Connects ARE eventually refunded if the job expires.

EDIT: I've been corrected on this. Please see below.

I received a refund on the first day of this cycle, so briefly had a total of 62 connects. At the time, I got this message from Upwork:

"Please note that a job that you have applied for, #########################, has expired or has been canceled by the client. Your proposal has been archived."

I've had another two of these messages since, but haven't checked whether I got more connects refunded.

versailles
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
17 of 28

@Richard W wrote:

Nope, they are not refunded if a job expires.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
richard_wein
Community Guru
18 of 28

@Rene K wrote:

@Richard W wrote:

So when are they refunded? When a job is cancelled by the client?

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
19 of 28

@Richard W wrote:

@Rene K wrote:

@Richard W wrote:

So when are they refunded? When a job is cancelled by the client?

Yes, or by Upwork for being a scam.

richard_wein
Community Guru
20 of 28

Thanks for clarifying, Rene and Petra. That would explain why (now that I've checked) I don't always receive a refund of connects after receiving one of those messages from Upwork.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS