🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » there is no protection for freelancers what s...
Page options
imzzy
Community Member

there is no protection for freelancers what so ever

i had worked for weeks and i didn't get paid due to a client fraud of about 70,000$ and even Upwork had suspended my account for 2 weeks for no fault of mine then they said they cant give back the money refunded and i lost about 70,000$ and my account was given back with full top rated plus and now they are saying there was the chargeback from the same client after almost 1 and half month when i started working on other projects and made money now Upwork is not letting me withdraw that money and saying there is a charge back. when previous they said there was nothing else to be done and everything was sorted ( after me loosing 70,000$) how is this fair to freelancers
?

18 REPLIES 18
imzzy
Community Member

i even had maintained high hours and even then it was sent back (about $70,000)

and now they want more money to be refunded how can we trust upwork now. where is the protection for a freelancer i really want to know. this is just killing me

elyannie
Community Member

Did you use the time tracker or did you log the hours manually?
petra_r
Community Member

Elyannie W wrote:
Did you use the time tracker or did you log the hours manually?

There are limits to the hourly protection. **Edited for Community Guidelines**

"The maximum rate per hour protected by Upwork to Freelancer under the Hourly Payment Protection for Freelancers is the lesser of: (i) the rate provided in the Hourly Contract terms; (ii) the usual hourly rate billed by Freelancer on the Site across all Clients; and (iii) the going rate for the same skills on the Site in Freelancer's area (such determination to be made in Upwork's sole discretion). The maximum amount of coverage under the Hourly Payment Protection for Freelancers for the life of a relationship between the same Client and Freelancer is $2,500 or 50 hours logged in Work Diary, whichever is less."

elyannie
Community Member

Goodness! That’s a lotta cheddar! I didn’t know about the cap. I was going to mention that he could try communicating with The client to see if they would remedy it via a bonus payment but I actually had not seen how high the dollar amount was. Clearly I have not had my coffee yet.
imzzy
Community Member

the client is what did fraud

this is not the first time

i have been not paid this is the 3rd time and then upwork had suspended the account and restored it after 2 weeks as i was no at-fault now they are saying is to give the money back on a month old contract ( which i ended after getting the account access back ) i don't know what to say

It may be difficult for some Upwork freelancers to relate to the original poster's plight, because his hourly rate is **Edited for Community Guidelines**.

Some people might wonder: Why is he so distressed about this, when he can simply work for a few hours for his other clients, and earn enough income to last him for the rest of the year?

I understand if the original poster is disappointed, but the limit on how much Upwork can pay out with Payment Protection is reasonable and covers MOST situations.

imzzy
Community Member

i did use time tracker on almost and still was refunded

Imamsab:
It is possible that there is a mismatch between the level (or quantity) of protection that Upwork provides, and the level of protection that you require.

The phrase that comes to mind is "too rich for my blood."

There is nothing inherently wrong with that dessert. But it is simply too sweet for my personal tastes.

i get it now Preston i guess would have to do something else to get the right dessert maybe i am at a wrong restaurant 

tlsanders
Community Member

Imamsab M wrote:

i get it now Preston i guess would have to do something else to get the right dessert maybe i am at a wrong restaurant 

Or maybe you just should have read the menu (in this case, one of the many places where payment protection is explained). 

Super curious about what you did to earn $70,000 in one week through Upwork? That would be $1,750/hour for a 40-hour week, but I think Upwork tops out at $999/hour? So, you worked 70 hours in one week at $999/hour?

Just hard work, I suppose.

Screen Shot 2021-02-18 at 7.39.55 PM.png

hey Preston thank you for being polite and understand world needs more people like you 🙂

Tiffany S wrote:Super curious about what you did to earn $70,000 in one week through Upwork?

It wouldn't have to have been one week, it could have been nearly two.

On Monday after the first week the client's payment method fails, the freelancer keeps working as unaware of that. The same happens Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, before Upwork suspends the account Thursday evening PST.

imzzy
Community Member

well petra that didn't happen

all the payment went through and the payment method didn't fail I did confirm manually with Upwork customer support and did check on the transaction page. and then when I was about to be billed on 3rd week then everything started I hope you see that.  and if something is wrong with the payment I wouldn't continue working.

imzzy
Community Member

I couldn't reply as Upwork had suspended my account got back the account now so let me reply to you

1) I worked for 95 hours + on 999$/hr which my clients are happy to pay cause i give equivalent value to it

2) I am an ethical hacker and cybersecurity expert who helps people in good ways.

3) I had worked for 3 weeks

4) it was work on smart contract security

5) you can go through my profile and feedback to know about the same.

6) I have been working in this field for the last 15 years so I charge 999$/hr ( what other can do in say 10 hours I can do in 1 hour hence the rate is justified )

hope I answered you satisfactorily

martina_plaschka
Community Member

Imamsab M wrote:

i had worked for weeks and i didn't get paid due to a client fraud of about 70,000$ and even Upwork had suspended my account for 2 weeks for no fault of mine then they said they cant give back the money refunded and i lost about 70,000$ and my account was given back with full top rated plus and now they are saying there was the chargeback from the same client after almost 1 and half month when i started working on other projects and made money now Upwork is not letting me withdraw that money and saying there is a charge back. when previous they said there was nothing else to be done and everything was sorted ( after me loosing 70,000$) how is this fair to freelancers
?

Wow that seems to be happening to you a lot. 

last was in 2018 so I don't know won't say a lot but yes it happens again.

in the last 4 years it happened 3 times now

Imamsab M wrote:

last was in 2018 so I don't know won't say a lot but yes it happens again.

in the last 4 years it happened 3 times now

Wow

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members