cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

three 5 star feedback, but total 4.62. why?

chikuse
Community Guru
Jiang C Member Since: Dec 8, 2013
11 of 20
That's good to know! I don't see it here yet. Hopefully, this won't happen to me again and I don't have to use this feature ever.
natram
Community Guru
Natasa R Member Since: Feb 2, 2012
12 of 20
[quote]This feature is not available for older contracts, only the ones that started about a week ago (not sure about the time).[/quote] I meant the feature is not available for older comments (not contracts) before this feature was announced (which was about a week ago or so). Sorry, I had to correct myself. 😃 The respond feature will apply to contracts going forward that are ended by you and your clients. Either way, since you don't see the feature yet, just keep in mind that you will be able to respond to a client's comment once it becomes visible on your profile.
chikuse
Community Guru
13 of 20
Thanks again! It's proceeding now. That feedback has been removed from my profile.
natram
Community Guru
14 of 20
If the client had listened to you from the beginning when you asked them to terminate the contract and not to pay you, you wouldn't need go through this now. This whole situation was such a waste of time for you and the refund was completely unnecessary. I hope you don't need to go through this again. Just keep up the good work as always and let this be in the past. Besides, all the other clients are satisfied and appreciate your hard work. Nothing can beat that. 😉
chikuse
Community Guru
15 of 20
The problem is I don't even know what I should do to avoid this to happen to me again next time. How do people survive here anyway? A translation job with $5, several days web research job for $20, then clients like this one...Now I really don't know if this is the place for me...
margaretphillips
Community Guru
Margaret P Member Since: Jul 7, 2007
16 of 20
As a contractor I have never refunded. A perfect 5.0 score is not needed. Anything over a 4.5 gets you into the the top search. Actually as a client I have been burned by a 5.0 contractor who did no work, "refunded" my money and vanished. Only problem is she has no money in her account so it will stay pending forever and I will never get my money back. She seems to have vanished from oDesk. Contractors aren't the only ones who get screwed around here.
natram
Community Guru
17 of 20
Very true. This goes both ways.
natram
Community Guru
18 of 20
Not all clients and situations are the same so don't let this discourage you. A good way to protect yourself is to do some research about the client (read their history and see what other freelancers say about the client) so you can get a picture about about that person. If you see many freelancers complaining, then obviously you don't want to work with that client. Ask questions during the interview about the work so you know exactly what the client wants, and make sure the client understands your agreement before you get hired. This will help you a lot. As for surviving here, that's a whole other story. It depends on how much time and effort you put into your work. And you don't need to limit yourself to one place; just register on different websites like oDesk. Or why not create your own website and market yourself? Cut the fees too! :-) The translation jobs I had that were below $10 were all very short translations, like only a couple of sentences. Some people would translate a whole page for that price. It depends what each person charge. You should work with prices you feel comfortable with.
chikuse
Community Guru
19 of 20
During the interview stage, the client seemed a bit rude. I should have turned down this job right away back then. Then it was my third job and I liked that project somehow, besides, I've seen ruder people from client side in real life, so I took it anyway. It was my mistake. I think they understood our agreement because I've confirmed that with them. First we emailed back and forth to communicate the idea, then after they said yes, I sent another mail to summarize it and confirmed it.I got feedback after 2-3 days, then I started work on it. The only problem is, when I think about it now, that client seems to have hired some VAs to help with interview and communication with freelancers. Because the one who hired me mentioned several times that he/she talked with his/her supervisor about it, blablabla, and also the tone of the emails and the writing styles are a bit different from time to time. I might have talked with several different people from that client side during the past few weeks. Anyway, a total disaster. I really should think about your suggestions. Want to work happily. That's the whole point.
natram
Community Guru
20 of 20
You are not alone. 🙂 We all experience these moments from time to time during the interviews; you need to trust your gut instincts. I turned down big contracts during the interview stage because I noticed things about the clients that bothered me. The chemistry was simply wrong and this was something that worried me. It turned out later on that I did the right thing because it saved me from bad feedback and a lot of headache. I much rather work with clients who know what they want and are cooperative, kind and appreciative, than work with someone with a bad attitude who is rude and keeps changing their mind the whole time. [quote]Want to work happily. That's the whole point.[/quote] Exactly! The whole point is to work happily, productively, and successfully. If this is not the main goal for both client and freelancer, then don't hire or don't get hired. It doesn't make anyone good to be rude or have a bad attitude; it will only affect the project and make you age faster. :-p So next time something doesn't feel right, trust your gut instincts. Take your time during the interview to get to know the client. If many people are involved in the project, ask what their roles are, who is doing what, and who you will be working with. If you need some advice from other people, just ask in the forum. There are many veterans here that will give you advice based on their experience and I can assure you that there are a lot of people that had similar experiences in the past. Based on the feedback and comments I saw from your clients, you have nothing to worry about. They speak highly about you and your work, and you couldn't get a better start. Just keep on working like you did and everything will turn out well for you.
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS