🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » toxic client
Page options
cath_s
Community Member

toxic client

I have new contract with a client and I he is do demanding. If I would block him, will I be going to be paid for the time I spent working with the contract? He just stresses me out and the pay is not that worth it.

5 REPLIES 5
petra_r
Community Member

Cathrina S wrote:

I have new contract with a client and I he is do demanding. If I would block him, will I be going to be paid for the time I spent working with the contract? He just stresses me out and the pay is not that worth it.

Don't just block the client. Behave professionally and explain to the client that you won't be able to continue with the contract. If it is an hourly contract, your client gets billed automatically for the hours you tracked.

renata101
Community Member

If you can find a suitable point in the work to end the contract, it's better to do this earlier than later.  Blocking the client without ending the contract will only leave the person frustrated with you because you are not communicating and this will do more damage down the line when the contract does end. It's better to just say that your situation has changed and you may not have the same availability to do the work as you did when you started. Then say that it would be better to end the contract.   

I agree.  Sometimes telling a "white lie" is better than being upfront.  A death in the family, a sick child or you getting the flu are always foolproof excuses.  "The dog ate my homework" is not a good excuse.

I think Petra's suggestion for the freelancer to explain that she will no longer be available to work on the contract is sufficient. A freelancer can politely extricate herself from a contract without making a up an excuse.

The important thing is to notify the client. A normal client just needs to know that a freelancer won't be available, so that he can plan his next move and properly plan his project. It doesn't matter to the client's project if the freelancer's dog died or if the freelancer's dog had pupplies.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members