🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » trying to figure out if If I'm looking at a c...
Page options
leeannmerrill
Community Member

trying to figure out if If I'm looking at a cheap/disrespectful client for writing journal article

Never run into this situation before but I suspect many others have.  I was invited to a job that was creating a scientific/journal article on water contamination-related issues (I'm an expert in this field). It was listed at $150 fixed price so I figured that was a placeholder. I learned the article was 4,000 words, would involve reading and citing 60 other scientific papers, and creating tables and graphs all to journal specifications. And he wanted this done in two weeks. I told him I hadn't written a journal article before so perhaps another applicant could do it more efficiently - and that in any case I couldn't commit to two weeks.  This morning I had a message from him - "okay, three weeks and $400 and I'll work with/help you." I replied that I wouldn't be comfortable committing to this type of sizable project without a task list scope and assignements between us of who would do what , that I had seen that he had paid people between $100 and $250 just to proofread documents, and that with such high expectations and low budget I'd be afraid we'd both end up unhappy.  Am I on the right track? He has lots of good reviews but for much smaller jobs and one that complains about overly high expectations for a larger job.  Should I just walk away at this point?  Now I feel like I'm just wasting my time and he's one of those people who would get angry with me when he's really angry with himself for procrastinating on getting this work underway.

13 REPLIES 13
wescowley
Community Member

My opinion, that seems absurdly low for that much work.  At any rate (sorry), if you're not comfortable with the work, move on to the next one.

martina_plaschka
Community Member

Lee Ann M wrote:

Never run into this situation before but I suspect many others have.  I was invited to a job that was creating a scientific/journal article on water contamination-related issues (I'm an expert in this field). It was listed at $150 fixed price so I figured that was a placeholder. I learned the article was 4,000 words, would involve reading and citing 60 other scientific papers, and creating tables and graphs all to journal specifications. And he wanted this done in two weeks. I told him I hadn't written a journal article before so perhaps another applicant could do it more efficiently - and that in any case I couldn't commit to two weeks.  This morning I had a message from him - "okay, three weeks and $400 and I'll work with/help you." I replied that I wouldn't be comfortable committing to this type of sizable project without a task list scope and assignements between us of who would do what , that I had seen that he had paid people between $100 and $250 just to proofread documents, and that with such high expectations and low budget I'd be afraid we'd both end up unhappy.  Am I on the right track? He has lots of good reviews but for much smaller jobs and one that complains about overly high expectations for a larger job.  Should I just walk away at this point?  Now I feel like I'm just wasting my time and he's one of those people who would get angry with me when he's really angry with himself for procrastinating on getting this work underway.

Politely decline. You have not been hired, so your JSS is in no danger. Never feel pressured into something that you don't feel comfortable with. Good thing that you didn't accept an offer before clarifying everything. 

martina_plaschka
Community Member

Lee Ann M wrote:

Politely decline. You have not been hired, so your JSS is in no danger. Never feel pressured into something that you don't feel comfortable with. Good thing that you didn't accept an offer before clarifying everything.

A USD 150 budget is not a placeholder, so that should have been a red flag from the start.  

Thanks all - Martina, what is it that tells you $150 USD is not a placeholder (just for my future edification). Now he's hired someone so will be interesting to see budget.  So weird because his avg. hourly rate paid is $61.

Anonymous-User
Not applicable

It's kind of interesting to be able to watch from afar after declining. I had a massive problem with a bad client and just discovered a FL that frequents the boards was hired by that client for the same project.

I hope it goes better for that FL, but they can have it.

You can't rely on the public ratings of the client. FLs sometimes are afraid to leave the truth publicly.

Cairenn R wrote:
It's kind of interesting to be able to watch from afar after declining. I had a massive problem with a bad client and just discovered a FL that frequents the boards was hired by that client for the same project.

I hope it goes better for that FL, but they can have it.

You can't rely on the public ratings of the client. FLs sometimes are afraid to leave the truth publicly.

Which is why if I see a client with bad public ratings I run away as fast as I can!

Anonymous-User
Not applicable

Well this client was all perfect ratings. But when it came time to fund Escrow and release payment, she suddenly forgot how the structure worked.

One year and 25 FLs and she didn't know how it worked? I hope her new hire went in with eyes wide open.

Lee Ann M wrote:

Thanks all - Martina, what is it that tells you $150 USD is not a placeholder (just for my future edification). Now he's hired someone so will be interesting to see budget.  So weird because his avg. hourly rate paid is $61.

It actually could have been a placeholder. But I think it was more like a bait, to see if he could get a freelancer at that rate.  You dodged a bullet. And $400 doesn't cover the amount of writing let alone the research. 

gilbert-phyllis
Community Member

That sounds like a recipe for disaster and your instincts served you well IMO.

Anonymous-User
Not applicable

If you're posting this, you already know the answer. You know it's bad for you.

Listen to the 1st hit you get.
Anonymous-User
Not applicable

"I replied that I wouldn't be comfortable committing to this type of sizable project without a task list scope and assignements "

Spot on. You handled this great.

Thanks all!!!

1db6b7b9
Community Member

Determining whether a client is cheap or disrespectful can sometimes be challenging, but there are several factors your can consider to help you make an informed decision. Here are a new things to keep in mind when evaluating a potential client for writing a journal article:

Budget: Assess the client's proposed budget for the project. While a lower budget doesn't necessarily mean you are disrespectful, it might indicate that they are looking for a bargain or might not value your expertise.

Communication: Pay attention to how the client communicates with you. Do they respond promptly and professionally? Are they about their expectations and requirements? Effective communication is crucial professional relationship.

Professionalism: Evaluate the client's overall professionalism. Do they themselves in a respectful manner? Are they open to constructive feedback and willing to collaborate? Professionalism is essential for a successful working relationship.

Reputation: Research the reputation if possible. Check for reviews or testimonials from other freelancers or professionals who have worked with them. This information can provide insights into their behavior and work ethic.

Previous interactions: If you've had previous interactions with the client or have seen their behavior in other contexts, consider experiences. Were they disrespectful or difficult to work with before? Past behavior can be an indicator of future conduct.

Red flags: Look out for any red flags such as consistently demanding excessive revisions without proper compensation, not honoring agreements, or showing a lack of appreciation for your work. cant sinu may indicate a disrespectful or challenging client.

It's important to trust your instincts and evaluate the over situation. If you have concerns about a potential client's atitud or if they're offering an unreasonably low compensation, it may be best to decline the opportunity or negotiate move favorable terms. Remember, your time and expertise as a writer are valuable, and it's essential to work with clients who respect that.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members