🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » trying to flag a client that is possibly runn...
Page options
aplager
Community Member

trying to flag a client that is possibly running a scam that I recently accept a job through Upwork

I recently was hired by a company posting on Upwork.  They sent me a copy of a check through the computer that they said was for equipment I would need.  My bank would not accept the check through their mobile app.  When I ask about what the equipment was they said a computer and some programs.  I said I would just go get a computer myself and then I would own the computer if they could send me the programs, or tell me what programs I would need. Then they changed to wanting me to send them gift cards and they would get the computer.  They would not go through Upwork for them payment.

Anyway today when they contacted me I asked how it was going to work they sent me a check if I can't get the computer and programs they want me to use in Lincoln or Omaha Ne.  I have not heard back from them. I think it could be a scam.  The job post didn't have the company name on it, found out in interview the company is Cox Trucking and they have the company logo of Cox Trucking in Ohio but company address on the check in New York. 

I just want to try to help others in the community from accepting a post that can be traced by to them if this is a scam

4 REPLIES 4
prestonhunter
Community Member

Yes, it is a scam.

JoanneP

Hi Audrey,

I'd like to look into this for you. Please send me a PM by clicking on my name so I can check. 

~ Joanne
Upwork
serafindesigns
Community Member

This reminds me of an old scam that was prevalent a few years back. I forgot the process. If I remember anything more I'll chime in.
gilbert-phyllis
Community Member

It's not my intention to hurt your feelings but have you read any of the information available for new freelancers on this platform? If you have, then you should know a few things that will protect you from this and other scams...

- If this "client" had "hired" you then you would see the active contract under My Jobs. I'm betting it's not there.

- Upwork's ToS (Terms of Service) strictly forbid accepting payment off the platform. You could be permanently banned for doing so.

- The people you have been communicating with have nothing to do with the trucking company you named. Anybody can say they're anybody on the internet. That is why UW has such stringent ID verification policies.

Please do yourself a favor and learn how the platform works before going any further, to avoid wasting your own time and possibly losing money.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members