cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

unethical behavior of client.

adnannazir43
Adnan N Member Since: Nov 3, 2017
1 of 19

I was really amazed and was hurt of client behaviour. please have a look at the screenshot of the Upwork Chat room below for this job post. 

*** Edited for Community Guidelines***

Client invited me and i replied to his invite and after that what happned was really surprising and i feel its unethical and Upwork team should take action on this incedince. 

tlbp
Community Guru
Tonya P Member Since: Nov 26, 2015
2 of 19

Clients should not use profanity. Freelancers should understand that they aren't hired simply because they have been invited to interview. 

melaniekhenson
Community Guru
Melanie H Member Since: Nov 2, 2017
3 of 19

I can't read that...it's too small.

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
4 of 19

@Melanie H wrote:

I can't read that...it's too small.

right click, get image address, paste to new tab.

it's gonna get deleted so hurry. I LOL'd.

tlbp
Community Guru
Tonya P Member Since: Nov 26, 2015
5 of 19

Paraphrasing:

Freelancer says - Just hire me already! I want to work now!

Client says- WTF is wrong with you!  

Freelancer says - Rude man, I will report you!

melaniekhenson
Community Guru
6 of 19

Wow, my goodness, LOL.

1. I don't think the OP really did anything wrong...I think to an extent it's a language barrier. Basically it seems like he was trying to say, "I'm glad to start working for you, please initiate." I own a shop and when I deal with (in my case, Asian) out-of-the-U.S. suppliers I get some REALLY funny translations that sound...yeah, rude. I try to figure out what it is that they really want. So I don't know if the OP really meant to sound like "Give me the job...now..."

2. The client's response, while classic and pretty funny, was rude, yes, but I'm not sure Upwork is going to worry about it. Some people ARE rude. OP, if you really want to cry, drive through a NJ tollbooth, one that's manned, and try to "take up the person's time" looking for change for 7 seconds. But make sure to record it on your phone because Youtube subbies will LOVE it!

3. I wonder if it's a joke and Photoshopped...it is so SNL skit-worthy. 😄

adnannazir43
Adnan N Member Since: Nov 3, 2017
7 of 19

Still unethical!

jcullinan
Community Guru
Jess C Member Since: Feb 18, 2015
8 of 19

@Adnan N wrote:

Still unethical!

Yeah, that word doesn't mean what you think it means. Rude, yes, but nothing to do with ethics.

The obvious solution is not to work with that client.

melaniekhenson
Community Guru
9 of 19

@Jess C wrote:

@Adnan N wrote:

Still unethical!

Yeah, that word doesn't mean what you think it means. Rude, yes, but nothing to do with ethics.

The obvious solution is not to work with that client.

I was thinking the same thing. Unethical would more imply something along the lines of shady business practices, trying to extract a great deal of work by pulling a bait-and-switch on the amount, or...whatever.

Rude just means rude. But in this case, funny! OP, have a laugh...and realize you don't really want to work with someone who drops the F-bomb anyway! Just smile, it IS kind of funny...so totally out of left field. And yes, take from this, if you want to, that you really shouldn't try to pin someone down just based on an interview on here. They have the right to not hire you for the project; that's a simple fact.

colettelewis
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
10 of 19

Adnan,

The client should not have sworn at you. But I am assuming he answered your proposal and then you come up with this totally irrelevant and inappropriate answer. to presumably one of his questions.

However, he was unprofessional in his approach and simply should have bypassed you and gone on to someone else.

IMO do not be hurt by idiots like this and move on. But never, ever again give this sort of response to a client - it is absurd, childish, and as unprofessional as your unpleasant client.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS