🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » unpaused contract not appearing in timetracke...
Page options
amymortensen
Community Member

unpaused contract not appearing in timetracker

I have a client who paused a contract for about 10 days and recently unpaused it, but it is not appearing in my contracts in the time tracker.  I have tried opening and closing the app but it is still not there. This is bad because the client needs me to start right away.  I don't have time to open a ticket and wait for a response.  And restarting the computer which I am about to try also takes time, grrrr. 

7 REPLIES 7
varungs
Community Member

This might just be a bug with the time tracker, but there are a few technical steps you can try, in increasing order of likelihood of working.

• Quit the Upwork app (through Activity Monitor or Task Manager) and then restart it
  • Log out of your Upwork account, quit the Upwork app, restart the Upwork app and log back in
  • Restart your entire computer, install any relevant OS updates / patches and do the above
  • Uninstall the Upwork app from your computer and reinstall the latest version
  • Try installing the beta version instead of the latest stable release
  • Try using the time tracker on a different computer than the one you're currently using

If all of those fail, then it's probably some sort of bug and you'd need Upwork's help.

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Amy,

Could you please try Troubleshooting tips shared in this help article.  If the issue persists, please report it following ''How do I report a problem?'' section of previously shared Troubleshooting guide.

Thank you.

~ Bojan
Upwork
joansands
Community Member

The time tracker often doesn't get updated right away. When I have had that problem, I went to the top of the app page and put the client name in the search box. Then the app got updated.

amymortensen
Community Member

Thanks for the replies,  I had tried Joan's suggestion of the search for client's name and also many of the first poster's options like exiting the app, but it was only restarting my computer that worked. Restarting is something I loathe to do because it is a big pain in the neck to have to open drafts I am editing again and windows to all the WordPress websites I create content for daily, etc. but a little bit better than having to wait days for Upwork customer service to respond to a ticket requesting help. What is it with tech people suggesting restarts like it is no problem at all. Having to restart makes you have to reopen everything. For some websites nowadays, we are paid by the article and have daily quotas we have to meet, etc. Restarts slow you down and create more work.  I post this just in case someone runs into the same problem so they know the restart might actually help if nothing else seems to work.    

The quickest way I found to solve this problem in the past without restarting the computer was to actually force-kill the tracker (not just close it down because that does not close it down totally, it sort lurks in a drunken slumber when it's closed down)

I use the task manager (on Windows) or the ⌘ + ⌥ + ⎋, command + option + escape (on my iMac) to kill the tracker, then, when I bring it back to life from there, the new contract is there, and I don't lose anything I'm working on.

Hi Amy, 

Thank you for sharing this here in the Community. I actually asked the same before since I was always given this answer by the technical support of several other companies, and it's been repeatedly said in "The IT Crowd."

I have read a few articles and discussions about it, and in one discussion, this gave me a better understanding of the process - Electronic devices are usually reset when turning off and on. When an issue is introduced to your machine's memory by an application, or a combination of applications, turning it off resets the memory. Resetting the memory allows for the processes to work as intended, without the need for the application to 'resolve' the issue it dealt with in the first place. I hope that makes sense. 

~ Avery
Upwork
petra_r
Community Member

Avery O wrote:

..... Resetting the memory allows for the processes to work as intended, without the need for the application to 'resolve' the issue it dealt with in the first place. 

.... as does killing the process with the issue and restarting it, without the hassle of having to start all the other programs and windows from scratch.

It's just the same overkill advice as the constant "kill cookies and cache" stuff when a hard refresh (as a first try to fix site misbehaviour) fixes things with no need to lose all cookies or cache. The last time I genuinely needed to clear cookies and cache was in 2013.

It is always a good idea to start with the least disruptive remedy before trying more radical solutions. We don't take chemotherapy for a headache, when a simple paracetamol cures it. 

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members