🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » .
Page options
db49d36f
Community Member

7 REPLIES 7
ericaandrews
Community Member

You actually can be suspended or permenantly kicked off the Upwork platform for accepting or negotiating payments outside of Upwork.  These rules have always been posted, and these are rules you are supposed to read and AGREE to when you create you account.  It sounds like you have some contracts that are completely OUTSIDE of Upwork (but the initial introduction happened on UW) - which is also a ToS violation.  Yes. You can be banned, supspended, kicked off the platform for all of it.

keenwebdesigns
Community Member

You will have to see how Upwork responds to that explaination but you do sign a contract when you use Upwork services to only accept payments through upwork for the leads you get on this platform. I wouldn't accept any additional payments off the platform going forward and if you are concerned about not getting paid then you should only apply for job listings with clients who have a verified payment method. There is information on all listings that says if they do or not. That will give you additional protections if they decide not to pay. Also make sure to clearly label when you are working on with the time tracker in the event that you may need to prove you've done what the client hired you for.

bobafett999
Community Member

What do you mean by "RECENTLY"?  Ignorance of the basic rules is not a valid excuse. 

I think we all know most of the freelancers that get scammed like this are the freelancers that sign up for the platform, are presented with the 'terms of services' rules and tutorials on how to use the platform and how to avoid scams upon sign up, and quickly SCROLL past them and say "whatever" and click 'OK' in a rush to sign up and get a profile posted. Later, on the forums:  "I wish someone had told me that...."  Well. Upwork did tell them.   The Terms of Service is a contract between the freelancer/agency and Upwork. Agreeing to contracts without reading/understanding them is one of the gravest business mistakes anyone can make, yet it seems to be the most frequent mistake made on this platform.  People are on a platform that revolves around contracts and won't even bother to read the first contract they have to sign to get on the platform.  Interesting business approach.

the-right-writer
Community Member

1)A Yes.    1)B Refunding will not help your situation with Upwork.

2) No.

yofazza
Community Member

Houssem B you OK? You looked like you got banned before you can finish the last sentence ðŸ˜„

Anyways...

CJ A wrote:

I think we all know most of the freelancers that get scammed like this are the freelancers that sign up for the platform, are presented with the 'terms of services' rules and tutorials on how to use the platform and how to avoid scams upon sign up, and quickly SCROLL past them and say "whatever" and click 'OK' in a rush to sign up and get a profile posted. Later, on the forums:  "I wish someone had told me that...."  Well. Upwork did tell them.

Like it or not, some (most, actually) people don't read the lengthy wall of text before they put mark on the approval checkmark and click Submit. This creates problem. But human nature is to find solution to problems. The solution in this case is education. If we take example from some games that can be considered complex, they put guided walkthrough that can go for more than an hour at the beginning of the game. They have complete documentation, but they know they can't tell the gamers to master the documentation before jumping in.

In Upwork it can be the readyness test but modified so it becomes mandatory and not easily cheatable, or something like that.

But, I know there's an oversupply of freelancers so they can simply ignore the problem and ban or suspend freelancers everyday. Or leave them got scammed, leave it for the natural selection. They do something to solve the problems, but there's no need to do it very seriously. No need to think very hard, and of course no need to do the costly ones. While actually this problem is not only on the freelancer's side.

Upwork should think and put something like the game walkthrough thing for Clients. If you look at the client forum, there's the bigger problem when you see the money source got disappointed, which might lead them to circumvent payments, etc., among other things.

For clients it of course can't be in the form of a "readyness tests".

aba53208
Community Member

You can be permanently removed from Upwork for accepting payment outside of the system. 

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members