abijah-keru
Community Member

:)

🙂

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
pudingstudio
Community Member

Abijah K wrote:

I've been working on Upwork for a while as transcriptionist. I recently decided to offer ghost writing services to clients. However, I've been unsuccessful; every proposal I've sent has been declined. I'm not certain what I'm doing wrong. Could my profile be the problem? 

Your suggestions are appreciated.

Reason MIGHT be: 'It's summer'.

I cannot see you profile (says that it's not public when I click on your name).

If you're really frustrated and fed up - take a deep breath and keep pushing.
Success is not guaranteed, UpWork (freelancing in general) is not a 'gold mine', it's work. Too often hard one.

When you push through, it becomes easier (not easy; easier).

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
pudingstudio
Community Member

Abijah K wrote:

I've been working on Upwork for a while as transcriptionist. I recently decided to offer ghost writing services to clients. However, I've been unsuccessful; every proposal I've sent has been declined. I'm not certain what I'm doing wrong. Could my profile be the problem? 

Your suggestions are appreciated.

Reason MIGHT be: 'It's summer'.

I cannot see you profile (says that it's not public when I click on your name).

If you're really frustrated and fed up - take a deep breath and keep pushing.
Success is not guaranteed, UpWork (freelancing in general) is not a 'gold mine', it's work. Too often hard one.

When you push through, it becomes easier (not easy; easier).

Error!

Abijah K wrote:

Thank you for the response.

I've updated my profile settings. Should be able to see it now.

Petra gave more direct/usefull insight. Still, here is more from me, no particular idea why:

You are writer. You know MUCH more than me about composing words into interesting sentences. Can't give any input about your profile description.

To ME, it looks good.

You are NOT unsuccessful, seemingly.

If I were a client, have no idea why I would choose you before some other person (unless your competitors are just rubbish, which I don't think is the case).

Comes down to the client - whenever you've applied to a job that is just perfect for you; same was obvious to the client. You've got THAT job.

There were those proposals when you felt like 'Meh, who knows'. Obviously, you do (or should).

Send proposal only when you know that a job is meant for you. Takes patience, takes days till you see that job; it's worth it.

Antun M wrote:

Her previous contracts were for transcription, not ghostwriting (which is, incidentally, one word, not two. Ghostwriters should know how to spell what they are or do...)

Petra R wrote:

Antun M wrote:

Her previous contracts were for transcription, not ghostwriting (which is, incidentally, one word, not two. Ghostwriters should know how to spell what they are or do...)

Once again, Abijah K, check out what Petra wrote.

Sounds useful to me.

I think you're shooting at the wrong market as anything remotely adult is forbidden on Upwork, so aiming at the "steamy" market may rule you out for a lot of jobs, and the ones that could be suitable according to your profile aren't even allowed in the first place.

I think I'd also maybe tone it down a little, it reads a bit over-the-top, in line with the way many writers from your country often write, which might concern clients.

One line claims you "eliminate clichés" and then the very next line has "compelling, nuanced characters leaping off the page in all their warm and multidimensional glory."

Somehow the combo of gay and exotic steamy romance with nuanced characters leaping all over the place in multidimensional glory doesn't quite work for me 😉

Hi Petra - I didn't know that anything remotely adult is forbidden on Upwork because there are a lot of job posts that I find to be very, very adult and steamy. Maybe Upwork just isn't checking on them.

mgmason1975
Community Member

I've been here over 6 years and without fail July-Sept is nearly always quiet for me.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths