cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

unresponsive client: what is better way?

Highlighted
Pavlo B Member Since: Mar 31, 2015
1 of 9

Hi all. I got contract 2 weeks ago and client funded money. After few days client informed me that old task is not actual and there is another job. I agreed. But he have not provided me necessary information and credentials which are needed to perform task. After i asked him many times to give me credentials client answered only :"i come back to you soon". Today is end date of milestone but i can not even to start job. So i prefer to end this contract. But i do not know how is the best way to do this? Main thing i worry about in this situation is my feedback  and "job success score". I agree to give refund to client. Can anyone advice me best way of resolving this issue? Thank You

Highlighted
Community Guru
Stephen B Member Since: Dec 4, 2012
2 of 9

I feel for your plight, but unfortunately these new performance metrics oDesk has introduced recently means that no one is really in a position to offer you constructive advice, because no one knows how oDesk's new robots calculate the scores that decide your fate and standing on here. Even if the mods advise you I get a feeling they don't really know themselves (no offence to them - I just think the robot has been let loose and is going to wreak havoc and confusion for a good while yet, and only at the expense of freelancers), but you would probably be best to follow their advice. In the meantime, I suggest that you politely but assertively ask your client by oDesk message every couple of days asking for the work. At least this leaves an evidence trail if it ever comes to a dispute in the future.

Highlighted
Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
3 of 9

Pavlo,

Just to add to what Stephen wrote, this may seem paranoid and takes up some of your time, but you might want to take some screenshots of your communication with this client as a backup.

Iftikhar I Member Since: Mar 10, 2015
4 of 9

Stephen

Agree with you but even a dispute can go against freelancers so what might they have to do.why the system effect only the freelancers there is no way to move.

Refund

Deadline 

Disputes 

What should we have to choose from above?

Highlighted
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
5 of 9

Hi Pavlo,

As Stephen suggested in his post, the best thing to do would be to ask your client politely to either provide more information about the task or end the contract for now. It's better if the client ends the contract. If he doesn't have work for you to do now but will need your services in the future he can re-hire you and create a new contract.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Highlighted
Pavlo B Member Since: Mar 31, 2015
6 of 9

Thanks all for help.

Highlighted
Community Guru
7 of 9

Valeria

You are right we have to do the same but what about the deadline its due date and we dont know where is the client after date its robot time to punish us as we have missed the deadline.

Highlighted
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
8 of 9

Hi Iftikhar,

Due dates for milestones are optional and clients may or may not specify them while setting up milestones. It doesn't directly count against your score if you submit work after the due date specified next to the milestone. However, not delivering work on the date the client expects you to may result in lower public and private feedback and that will affect your score.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Highlighted
Community Guru
9 of 9

Thanks Valeria So if the client give us positive feedback public and private it won't effect our JS even the due date is passed for some reasons.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS