🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » unresponsive client
Page options
bluesilence12
Community Member

Unresponsive client

Hi,
I have been working with this client on a milestone basis. I have submitted the first part of the job and she said she loved it and asked for some more changes. But after that became unresponsive. I haven’t completed the project and the final files are not released. I’d like to know what I need to do at this stage?
ACCEPTED SOLUTION
NikolaS

Hi Sara,

If you are working with a client and they become unresponsive for a long period of time, it may be best to stop working on the project and wait for contact from the client. In some cases, you may also reach out to Upwork to contact the client on your behalf.

On a fixed-price contract, ending the contract forfeits any funds remaining in escrow. Instead, it is often best to complete your last milestone before you end the contract. If your client fails to respond to your submission, funds will be automatically released after 14 days. If they respond but refuse the work and you believe you have completed the work according to the agreed terms, you have the option to file a dispute.

You can find more information in this help article

~ Nikola
Upwork

View solution in original post

226 REPLIES 226

Bella do you have a formal Upwork contract in place for this client? If you don't, and you have already delivered work to this client, then you are not likely to hear from him again. 

He sent me an employee form ma'am. I filled it out and sent to him

You are not an employee. There are no employee forms. 

Were you asked to send any money?

For future reference: if somebody stops responding, don't run to upwork to talk to them. That is simply not how a professional acts. 

I wasn't asked to send money. Okay ma'am. Thanks 

I wasn't able to deliver work to him because I am on the first page afterwards, he is not responding. 

shilpadesign
Community Member

I am a Graphic Designer and I have been working on a project for a client. The project almost completed and the client was supposed to revert back, but the client isn't responding since one month. Why should I do?

You can deliver the project if it's done.

If it's a fixed price contract, just use the "Submit work and request payment" button and send the completed work. After that, they'll have 14 days to review the work and either release the funds, or request changes. If they take no action, you get paid automatically after 14 days.

If it's an hourly contract, and you've been tracking your time with the desktop app and leaving accurate notes with your tracked time, send them the finished work, and you'll get paid automatically according to the Upwork payment schedule.

If it's an hourly contract and you haven't been tracking your time, it could be difficult to get paid if you're inputting hours manually and the client decides to not pay.

Thanks a lot Michael S! This is very helpful :).

morrisonanele
Community Member

A client offered me a job and funded my escrow After writing the paid test the Client has remain unresponsive

So I decided to submit the paid test to Upwork yet the client remains unresponsive will I still be paid by Upwork

This explains most of what you need to know;

https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/211063718-Get-Paid-for-Fixed-Price-Contracts

Unless the client objects, once you submit your work to your client using the "Submit" button on the project page, Upwork will automatically release payment ato you fter 14 calendar days  You shouldn't submit the work again to prompt the client to pay, because the re-starts the 14-day automatic payment countdown.

Clients are not required to be responsive.

As a freelancer, I get paid the same amount of money whether or not the client responds.

e6715c07
Community Member

Hello,

So I was hired for an audio transcription project and it lasted only two weeks of intensive work. Client has only paid for the submission of audios but has not paid me the remaining part that would be processed after quality check. Now he is not even responding to the messages. How should I act? 

If the remaining part is in Escrow, you can start a dispute and maybe arbitration. If it's not, then unfortunately the client got free work.

I have a term I use to describe clients who owe me money for work I did over a month ago:

"clients who don't owe me money"

1fb13075
Community Member

I have a job with a new Upwork client for 200$ the client funded 50$ as a first milestone and he stopped replying to me "Almost stopped opening Upwork " and I have finished the full work 

I have requested the payment and after 14 days I got the 50$ the problem is I would like to contact him as he paid 50$ and did not get anything till now "All of the work is ready, the work requires his email to transfer the job to his owner" and also I want him to fund the rest of the contract is there any way that Upwork can contact the client?

Hi Ahmed,

If you are working with a client and they become unresponsive for a long period of time, it may be best to stop working on the project and wait for contact from the client.

However, for us to proceed and assist you properly, can you please provide me the contract ID for the client that you're referring to? I will be more than willing to review and reach out to the proper department for further assistance if necessary.

~ Arjay
Upwork
1fb13075
Community Member

here is the contract ID 

thanks

Hi Ahmed,

We hope that the amount of work you put in is equal to the amount in the milestone. We highly recommend not doing additional work on a fixed-price contract unless the other milestones are funded, and the amount in escrow is commensurate to the amount of work you’ll do. We can’t help chase after money that was promised, or that was previously discussed. We can only help in cases where milestones are created and funded.

In your case, you may want to try and contact the client one last time to see if they still want to move forward with the project, otherwise, you have the option to close the contract if the client remains unresponsive. Feel free to check this help article to be more acquainted with how the procedures work.

~ Arjay
Upwork
logvinova_natali
Community Member

2 Clients disappeared and stopped responding. The work is done, there is an agreement on payment, but the clients simply stopped communicating. As a result, the money is "In review". What to do?

Fixed price projects or hourly?

Hi Natalia,

I'm sorry to hear about your experience with these clients. I have checked and it looks like you've already communicated with our team with the same concern. A support ticket was recently been created with your concern and I highly suggest you continue communicating with our team through that ticket for updates and further assistance.

~ Arjay
Upwork
darrenferguson
Community Member

My contract was renewed a few times and I was told that I would start other task for client.

Now a month has gone by and I have not heard from client.

Am I owed for these hours? In the outside world, with a contract,  I'm assuming yes. A deal is a deal and the contract was never ended by client.

What is the policy on Uptick?

Thanks

Hi Darren,

Thank you for reaching out to us. We know that getting paid for your work in a timely fashion is important to you. Hourly contracts may be covered by Upwork Hourly Protection.  All applicable time that you log in to your Work Diary, whether tracked or added as manual time, is invoiced to your client accordingly.

However, I have checked your account and there's no time has been logged in. In this case, you should not be expecting further payments If you're planning on ending the contract. Please note that If you are working with a client and they become unresponsive for a long period of time, it may be best to stop working on the project and wait for contact from the client.

Feel free to check this help article for more details.

~ Arjay
Upwork
f552658b
Community Member

Hi

I have a contract with a client for a fixed price, Actually when client start project he has created 5 milestones and completed work for above milestone and client had approved that but after that he created another 3 milestone and active only one milestone but this time i got trust on him so submit work to him and now he is not responsing my message  and the job wasn't finished because it needed their final approval. It's been a month since the approval and I've sent messages but they don't answer. I don't know what to do since I'm afraid that if they give me a bad feedback 

Hi Kiranben,

Thank you for your message. I can see that you submitted your work and requested payment last May 24. If your client fails to respond to your submission, funds will be automatically released after 14 days. If they respond but refuse the work and you believe you have completed the work according to the agreed terms, you have the option to file a dispute. You may read more about Fixed-Price Protection here. I hope this helps.

~ Arjay
Upwork
f552658b
Community Member

Thank you arjay,

Hi Delwar,

As you have very great profile i am facing some issue so i need help for client unresponsive on first project can you help me to solve this ? 

923bb878
Community Member

I need some help, so there was a client I did a job for and submitted on 31st May, the money was already in the escrow account, but after submitting the client went silent, today it's 15 days ever since I submitted the job, being 14/06/2022, but the money has not been released to me, as per Upwork rules if the client is unresponsive the money is automatically released after 14 days, I didn't resubmit and the client received the work and didn't say anything, my billing cycle allows me to transact every Wednesday which is tomorrow, what should I do?

Hi Mary,

Can you please provide the contract ID number so we can check?

~ AJ
Upwork
52bf3193
Community Member

Hello y'all. So one of my clients wants to purchase a project of mine in bundles (or several times) from project catalog.

My question is if she purchases projects worth $500+, for further purchases, what will be the service charge? Will it be 10% of the amount once it crosses $500? 

My second question, another one of my clients became unresponsive after I submitted the work for a project catalog project. I've submitted the work through the system. Will this be released after 14 days like fixed price contracts? 

Thanks for your time. 

Hi Anika,

In this article, it is stated that we count all your contracts with a client –– whether hourly, fixed-price, or a Project Catalog project. This means that on a $600 project with a new client, your service fee would be 20% on the first $500 and 10% on the remaining $100.

As for the unresponsive client, we generally recommend that you complete your last milestone, submit the work for payment and still try to get in touch with your client in order to leave a good impression. If your client fails to respond to your submission, we will automatically release the funds after 14 days.

I hope this helps!

~ AJ
Upwork

Thank you Annie for the detailed response. Appreciate it! 

Regarding the unresponsive client, it's a project from project catalog. Hence I'm concerned how this works

Hi Anika,

You're welcome! It works the same as a fixed-price contract with just one milestone.

~ AJ
Upwork

Hi Annie. Thanks a lot!

I have this one client who created two milestones together. She didn’t activate the second milestone and she barely communicates. I've submitted the work for the first milestone which was activated. In this case, will the payment be released after 14 days for the first milestone? Because the last (second) milestone was never activated. So technically this milestone shouldn’t be counted. 

Appreciate your time. 

Hi Anika,

Arjay here stepping in for Annie Jane. Yes! that is correct.  If your client fails to respond to your submission of the first milestone, we will automatically release the funds after 14 days.

~ Arjay
Upwork
52bf3193
Community Member

Thanks a lot Arjay for the response!  

tamukamatare
Community Member

Hi Iam still new to upwork. I did some extra work on two fixed contracts for which the client agreed to pay extra through the chats. The client explained to me that he wanted me to do some edits on the project and I pointed out that those were not edits but something that was not part of the scope so I clearly told him that I will charge him for the extra work to which he agreed. There were No new milestones added for the extra work, No extra funds put into the escrow, so I did the work for the second project he approved it and I noticed he didnt add a milestone or anything so I added one which I think he aproved but did not fund it. I went on to work on the other project as per his request and finished it. By 23 May I was already done doing extra work on project 2 and by 31 May I was done with extra work on Project 1. I thought I was going to see some action on his part but he hasnt done anything in regard to paying for the extra work for those 2 projects. The client only funded $70 which was the money he was owing because he had funded $70 less when I did his second project. Eventually I added the second milestone but the client is unresponsive its been two weeks now. The client owes me $144 for new edits on project 2 and $160 on edits for project 1. How should I proceed? In my contract it says $70 Funded Active, Remaining $214 which is probably $70 remaining on the intial work for project 2 +$144 extra work on project 2. It seems I dont have control on when he can release the money for the milestone I finished by 23 May a month ago and he approved and its not funded. The other milestone for the work I did for $160 has not be approved yet but I submited the work and finished all corrections by 31 May. How should I proceed.

Regards

Tamuka

Sorry this happened to you. But you shouldn't have done or delivered any more work until after all milestones were fully funded. Now if the client doesn't to pay, there is no way Upwork can make them. 

The project bonus was funded 3 weeks ago. Its status is Active is there a way to have it paid to my account?

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths