🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » unresponsive clients
Page options
fuchs_mary
Community Member

unresponsive clients

I have two unresponsive clients and tried to reach out to them. the clients aren't responding. I reached out to the "bot" chatbox, which gave me a link to contact upwork, and on the page didn't have a number to call. Has anyone have this problem?? please let me know what to do. 

7 REPLIES 7
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "I have two unresponsive clients and tried to reach out to them"

Clients are not obligated to respond to freelancers.

re: "I reached out to the chatbot, which gave me a link to contact upwork, and on the page didn't have a number to call. Has anyone have this problem?? please let me know what to do."

It is inappropriate to try to contact Upwork Customer Support to discuss this topic. It would not help you if you were able to reach them.

It is also unnecessary to talk to them about this topic, because we will be happy to answer any questions you have about this.

You now know that clients are not obligated to respond to freelancers. Do you have any other questions on this topic? Is there something you don't understand about this?

Preston, I believe that you genuinely intend to be helpful but IMO your response here comes across as the opposite of helpful. Not everyone conducts their business here in a purely transactional mode, some of us -- many of us -- incorporate relational interactions and indeed, couldn't make a living without doing so. So, "Clients are not obligated to respond to freelancers", while technically true, is not generally very useful.
When a FL is obviously brand-new and likely confused, I think it's incumbent on the rest of us to take the time to check their profile and see where they are starting from, before answering. When we don't have time or patience to do that, we are free to go about our business and let someone else field the call. 

JoanneP

Hi Mary,

Submitting proposals doesn't always guarantee that the client will respond, or hire you for their project. You may still continue to submit proposals to jobs that you are interested in. I understand that you are worried about clients not responding. I hope this doesn't discourage you from submitting proposals. Please consider checking out the resources here to help you get started and for tips in building your profile and submitting proposals to clients. 

~ Joanne
Upwork
gilbert-phyllis
Community Member

Mary, your profile doesn't show any contracts -- but it would not if they are new and you have not yet received any payment. Do you actually have contracts with these clients or are you still in discussions?

gilbert-phyllis
Community Member

Shoot. I'm getting down off my high horse now. When I checked your profile, Mary, I was looking to see whether you had active contracts and didn't actually look at your overview. I just took another look and would like to make several comments that would not make it through moderation. So I'll content myself with this: A student who hires someone else to write their term paper (or take their exam or in any other way do their schoolwork for them) is committing academic fraud. A person who writes a term paper or sits an exam or does any other activities for which someone else is receiving academic credit is committing academic fraud. Academic fraud is unethical and against the rules of academic institutions and, therefore, a violation of Upwork's ToS. 

I wonder how many freelancers Upwork could unload if they simply searched profile overviews for specific words like "term paper" "dissertation writing" "homework" etc. with a manual review to make sure the context. Academic fraud is disgusting. 

Amanda L wrote: Academic fraud is disgusting. 

Agree. When I went to college, we had to write and sign a one-sentence honor pledge at the bottom of every assignment -- term paper, exam, lab report, anything we submitted for academic credit. And we took it seriously. Of course, that was a while ago, we had to watch for dinosaurs roaming the crosswalks. But you either have integrity or you don't. 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths