Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: update your profile to win more jobs

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jean S Member Since: Oct 22, 2007
11 of 21

After having problems with a fixed price contract I was advised by CS that I should try to take on hourly work rather than fixed price. Unfortunately in my category many of the jobs are fixed price only and not hourly. I found this a little disconcerting to be advised to ignore fixed price contracts.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
12 of 21

@Jean S wrote:

After having problems with a fixed price contract I was advised by CS that I should try to take on hourly work rather than fixed price. Unfortunately in my category many of the jobs are fixed price only and not hourly. I found this a little disconcerting to be advised to ignore fixed price contracts.

*sigh*

How can it be seen as anything but totally inappropriate for Customer Support to advise us on our business models and practices? How can they be allowed, possibly encouraged, to advise in areas that are beyond their remit and quite likely their expertise?

Best to all,

Michael

Highlighted
Community Guru
Abdul R Member Since: Dec 4, 2014
13 of 21

Hello valeria, 

I am thankful to you for kind consideration to help me. At last I got message that your profile is perfect. I was really worried about it. They also told me that there is bug that was a reason to get reaptedly messsages. 

Thank you, 

Abdulrazaq

Highlighted
Hadiya U Member Since: Jun 28, 2015
14 of 21
Hello am new here I got the same message that I should edit my profile and I have been doing it since but is still showing me the message please I need help on how to get it done the right way. Thanks
Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
15 of 21

Hadiya,

Your profile is definitely not ready to be approved.

Your profile text needs to be completely re-written. Not by you. It needs to be written by a native English speaker. It is too short and is mostly a demonstration of writing mistakes you would make if you worked for a client.

You do not have any portfolio pieces, and you definitely will need them.

You need to remove all references to "article writing", "copy writing", "proof reading" and "English proofreading", as these are not skills you should be offering.

Your photo is cropped TOO closely for a new contractor. Crop it that closely when you have completed at least 5 jobs successfully on Upwork.

You need to do more research about Upwork and you need to carefully read hundreds of examples of job postings and also hundreds of profiles of other contractors who work in the areas you are interested in. You are young! (I envy you your youth.) Don't be in such a hurry. Take some time to learn more about Upwork, compile a portfolio of work you do on your own, and acquire new skills. I hope to see you back here in six months.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Natacha R Member Since: Aug 2, 2010
16 of 21

@Preston H wrote:

Hadiya,

Your photo is cropped TOO closely for a new contractor. Crop it that closely when you have completed at least 5 jobs successfully on Upwork.

Why? Please let me know the reason, I'm curious to know why.

Highlighted
Community Guru
17 of 21

Hadiya's photo looks different from the photos of most contractors on Upwork. It strikes me as either unprofessional, lazy or quirky, none of which she can afford to be at this point.

Highlighted
Community Leader
Sharon L Member Since: Jun 14, 2015
18 of 21

Hadiya: I would recommend studying English grammar and spelling. Study it like you would have done at school, by taking notes, summarising, memorising, writing practice sentences, writing essays, etc. Once you have got started, estimate how long it will take you to finish the grammar book or dictionary, and allocate time to do your studies every day. This is not something you can do very quickly. Since you classify yourself as an article writer, I would not disencourage you from the article writing jobs, but understand you are competing against quite an experienced group.

Specifically, you need to score at least in the 50 percentile, I would have thought, for each of your tests.

Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
19 of 21

@Sharon L wrote:

Since you classify yourself as an article writer, I would not disencourage you from the article writing jobs, but understand you are competing against quite an experienced group.

Sharon,

I am not sure why you would not (ahem) discourage the writerly aspirations of someone who posts here with an unpunctuated run-on sentence and gives nary a clue of writing skill in her profile. I see discouragement as kinder, and certainly less presumptuous, than laying out a lesson plan for a provider who might be better off promoting, for example, her Excel skills.

Best,

MIchael

Highlighted
Community Guru
20 of 21
Sharon was being nice. To her credit, Sharon was not minimizing the amount of work Hadiya would need to do in order to become an article writer. If you read between the lines, it is clear that following Sharon's plan will take YEARS.
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS