cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

upload drivers license

Asher F Member Since: Oct 18, 2017
41 of 65

I disagree with this. I don't think it is legitimate. I can't trust upwork to keep my extremely crucial private information from being stolen no matter how encrypted they are.  There is an easy way to verify your location. You IP address shows your macaddress and where you logged in from. This is sufficent.

It is EXTREMLEY stupid of them to ask for other forms of verification specially when the client has not even interviewed me. If the need be I can show my ID over skype which is much safer. 

Joe L Member Since: Sep 6, 2018
42 of 65

Preston,

"contact Upwork directly and obtain anything you need" contravenes EU GDPR regulations

Will the next step be a sample of DNA? Urine and Blood samples?

I understand that in the US the corporation is king but across the pond things are geared much more toward individual rights to privacy and confidentiality

I understand that there is an issue in regards to freelancers claiming to be located in such and such a country as I have been a freelancer for a while. 

It's all a race to the bottom....

Community Guru
Scott E Member Since: Jul 26, 2015
43 of 65

Ah right... sorry to confuse the matter then! I thought it was a client asking. 

"Welcome, humans. I'm ready for you!"
- Box, Logan's Run (1976)
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
44 of 65

Scott, based on what the moderator said, I don't think we know either way.

Asher F Member Since: Oct 18, 2017
45 of 65

I agree with you. I don't like them asking for such personal information. It is a breach of privacy. I live in USA and once the employer hires me, I can provide this information to them. If they are in the same city, I can even go to them. 

It is sooo frustrating that upwork has all these ridiculous restrictions which stops qualified candidates from applying for those reasonable gigs.

I mean for such a low amount employers can't be picky. They raised extremely high requirements for getting hired permanently. But here in this arena, they MUST be flexible about those requirements because they are paying peanuts.

I qualify for this job but unfortunately this guy doesn't even calls me for the interview and assess it himself.

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
46 of 65

Thank you for your feedback, Asher.

While we did consider using other data for location verification such as activity logs, they've proven to be insufficient. If you choose to go through location verification by uploading an image of your ID, any data will be encrypted and securely processed, and your image will not be stored by Upwork. You are not required to share your ID with us, however you will need to do so if you wish to submit proposals for jobs marked as “U.S. Only” under the “My Job Feed” tab.

It's also recommended not to share your personal information directly with a client.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Jeffrey S Member Since: Dec 8, 2017
47 of 65

Wow. Just joined upwork and encountered the same issue. How Orwellian. To me this feels like a flagrant breach of my privacy. I will not be sharing.

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
48 of 65

Hi Jeffrey,

I understand your concern. If you choose to go through location verification by uploading an image of your ID, any data will be encrypted and securely processed and your image will not be stored. Please note that if you don’t want to upload your ID you can still use Upwork to submit proposals for all other job posts except for those with a U.S. location requirement. 

~ Valeria
Untitled
Ruby W Member Since: Sep 28, 2018
49 of 65
Amen! I just was searching for a job and was checking out Odesk which led me to Up work. I stoped when they asked me to enter Lic or passport! No way!
Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
50 of 65

Hi Michael, 

I checked your account but couldn't identify the client you are referring to. I would recommend not to meet this request, as this is very unusual for clients to ask for their freelancers. 

Please flag this client's job post as inappropriate so that actions can be taken against the client's account. 

I would like to ask you to check out the Safety First! section of the freelancer resources we compiled and tips for avoiding questionable jobs, for more information about working safely through Upwork.

-Avery
Untitled
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS