cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

upload drivers license

Andrew D Member Since: Aug 6, 2017
51 of 65

Hello, 

I am just starting out on the freelance path here at upWork.  I have a bank account number setup for receipt of payment, and a profile with my picture on it.

However, I am being asked to put my divers license on my profile.  I am VERY hesitant to do so.  I have had Identity Theft hurt me before, and do not want to have it happen again.

Is this legit?  I am unsure and kind of turned off by this.

Andy

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
52 of 65

Michael, Andrew and others,

Sorry about the confusion. I can confirm that we have introduced a new process for U.S. freelancers to verify their location so they are able to access U.S.-only jobs. This process involves uploading their driver's license via a secure link. The process is very quick and your information is encoded and stored securely so you have nothing to worry about.

Check out this post for more information.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Ebony M Member Since: Aug 19, 2017
53 of 65
Is it required to upload your driver license? I am getting the same request, and I am also hesitant and unsure about uploading my personal info.
Community Guru
Ryan C Member Since: Feb 3, 2017
54 of 65

Hello Ebony,

This process is required. Rest assured that your information is stored securely.

Untitled
Jack P Member Since: Sep 3, 2017
55 of 65

This is ridiculous! How many times a week do we hear about data breaches and all the infomation is stolen? But somehow Upwork is magically going to keep my DL info safe? I call BS. I will not be doing this.

There has got to be a better way without putting my personal info at risk.

Community Guru
Katrina B Member Since: Jan 9, 2011
56 of 65

@Jack P wrote:

This is ridiculous! How many times a week do we hear about data breaches and all the infomation is stolen? But somehow Upwork is magically going to keep my DL info safe? I call BS. I will not be doing this.

There has got to be a better way without putting my personal info at risk.

You are not required to upload your DL, the only downfall is you can't apply to the USA only jobs.  You are required by ToS to use a real photo of yourself, not an actor. 

"Fairness is giving all people the treatment they earn and deserve. It doesn't mean treating everyone alike-Coach John Wooden"
Community Guru
Pandora H Member Since: May 11, 2010
57 of 65

@Katrina B wrote:

You are not required to upload your DL, the only downfall is you can't apply to the USA only jobs.  You are required by ToS to use a real photo of yourself, not an actor. 

I doubt that he's going to bother changing that photo. No wonder he looked so familar! That's a photo of (famous actor whose name escapes me). Is his Profile overview legit? I have no way of knowing, I don't read many in his industry.

Betcha anything he hasn't read any of the newbie info. (Which just boggles me because there is money involved....well his in his case, probably not).

Community Guru
Virginia F Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
58 of 65

@Pandora H wrote:

@Katrina B wrote:

I doubt that he's going to bother changing that photo. No wonder he looked so familar! That's a photo of (famous actor whose name escapes me). Is his Profile overview legit? I have no way of knowing, I don't read many in his industry.

Betcha anything he hasn't read any of the newbie info. (Which just boggles me because there is money involved....well his in his case, probably not).

He's using a photo of Andy Garcia.`

Community Guru
Pandora H Member Since: May 11, 2010
59 of 65

Thank you, @Virginia. That ended up bugging me all afternoon!

Community Guru
Virginia F Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
60 of 65

@Pandora H wrote:

@Thank you, @Virginia. That ended up bugging me all afternoon!

Yes, and it will end up bugging Upwork pretty soon. 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS