upwork hide my profile because I do not earn money!

Hello, are you seriously want to 'hide' my profile because I do not earn money?
Well, this is your choice, I've registered on different analog services, and have clients activity on that services, yes you are not monopolist...
LOL, if you are really put my profile in private mode, I would not apply to the jobs because it make no sense... just time wasting.
Your top rated program does not works at all! It act like dumb bot, your employers even do not read my profile, so in 99% cases my profile does not much to the job at all!
I would not pay to you for premium membership, because I am already paiyng money to you as fee, and your service is not so good as you think, also your top rated program does not make sense then.
Another words good luck in digging grave to yourself, haha)) lol. Meanwhile I will go and register on more analog services, since you are promising that I would not receive invitations, if you would change your mind, just let me know..
good luck in digging Upwork ๐Ÿ™‚

26 REPLIES 26
buksida

Thanks for the replies but I think I'm about to give up on this system.

I've sent out ten applications, some of which I am more than qualified for, and received no response.

This morning I get an email from Upwork saying they will disable my profile because I have not earned anything.

It is obvious that the only way to get on with this website is to pay them.

Sorry - not for me.

Bye

well as you wish..

vladag
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Vitaliy and Martin,

I'd like to ask you to review the notification you received earlier today in order to avoid any confusion regarding the new initiative we announced. Please note that your account won't be blocked, check this announcement and let me know if you have any questions afterwards.

Untitled

Hi Vladimir, I absolutely understand that upwork want to enforce me to buy premium account, but I would not do that, because I would better choose alternative freelance sites, instead of upwork. If you want me continue working with upwork you should unhide my account.

PS I understand that you did not block but just hide my profile from search.

yeah, thats why I post at forum.. thanks for your reply!

@Martin Y wrote:

Thanks for the replies but I think I'm about to give up on this system.

I've sent out ten applications, some of which I am more than qualified for, and received no response.

This morning I get an email from Upwork saying they will disable my profile because I have not earned anything.

It is obvious that the only way to get on with this website is to pay them.

Sorry - not for me.

Ten applications is nothing. I had 20+ years professional experience in my field when I started on Upwork, and I have an unusual combination of skills that is applicable to a lot of projects posted on Upwork--often it is objectively true that I am the single best qualified person to handle one of these projects. It took somewhere in the range of 30-35 proposals before I landed my first job on Upwork. A little over a year later, I've completed more than 60 Upwork projects.

You also seem to have misread the email. Upwork is not disabling your profile. It is setting your profile to private which means you won't show up in search. It in no way impacts your ability to bid on jobs, nor the likelihood that you will be awarded those jobs. It's very unlikely that a complete stranger was going to find you in search and invite you to a legitimate job anyway--though there are exceptions, the vast majority of invitations received by new Upworkers with no history on the site are scammed designed to cheat you out of either free work or money.

In short, little if anything has changed for you in terms of using Upwork.

I've already earned 10k and bring profit to your company, It is not my problem that my client has difficultes with payment.

*Difficulties

tlsanders

@vitaliy K wrote:

LOL, if you are really put my profile in private mode, I would not apply to the jobs because it make no sense... just time wasting.

This makes no sense at all. This change won't affect your ability to bid on jobs and be awarded those jobs in any way.

thats the case, most of the jobs at upwork is posted by bots, or clients with empty rate, so bidding them just time wasting...

so usually if I bid, in most cases clients even does not respond...

but I must  go through them anyway, because there are live people exists between those clients with empty rate... Also it make not much sense to bid for jobs with 50+ bids...

I have positive rating and feedbacks, but it is still unbelivable hard to get the new clients at upwork...

and now they are even reduced my chance to get a new client... lol))

upwork are you okay ?

come on upwork, are you seriously want to lose top rated freelancer? If so, I was right, and your top rated program just markiting...

For a guy with a tie you react incredibly childish.

childish? I will see how would react you if they would block your account without any reasons.

Last time they are blocked my account, and tell that I must put photo. If I could, I will remove my photo, because it does not helps bring new clients.

@vitaliy K wrote:

come on upwork, are you seriously want to lose top rated freelancer? If so, I was right, and your top rated program just markiting...

If you don't think it's worthwhile to bid on jobs, what good is it for you to be here? You're not gaining anything, and neither is Upwork.

I am here, to tell my word.

russtice

I see this as a good thing. Look at it from this perspective. If you have x number of freelancers that are not earning money on the platform or worse yet taking those contracts offline to avoid fees why would you reward that behavior by placing them in any search? As a business you wouldn't. This is something they should have done a long time ago.

If you regularly earn money here you have nothing to worry about. Simple.
sam-sly

I don't know what I think of this new "feature". But I just want to reassure some of the newer people that this doesn't necessarily make a big difference.

When I was new to Upwork, I intentionally set my profile as private. I was concerned about all the scammers and wanted to avoid them. Most invitation freelancers with minimal history see are from scammers. I still bid on jobs that interest me and won some. I doubt being set to private made a difference at that point.

For some freelancers, it will make a difference. I have met a few of my best clients through invitations they sent me. I will be worried if I run into a situation where I don't earn for 30 days. However, this is an annoying situation but not an impossible situation. 

Samantha, Russell, you do not see the whole picture... upwork enforce you to pay for function that was free before! Thats the case! Russell if you do not like, then fine, before you had a choice to hide your profile by yourself, but now, you would have to pay(if you did not have any job for a month). Now upwork just enforce you and took that possibility from you, so you have no choices, exclude pay them, but you are already do pay them 20% fee.... keep this in mind.

I did not have new clients for a while, almost all of the jobs that I get, was initialized by client side. Last month, I've spent all of the my connects, and just 1 client did respond for short term project.  I just do not have possibility to sit all the day and monitor new jobs that is owned by bots in most cases.

Look, I am top rated and it is still unbelivable hard to get new clients! it is just truth... So please explain why should I pay for feature that was free before? If so why  upwork did not disable freelancer from search result that has paid account? I think it is not fair! It is mean that they are enfore you more and more to pay them more.. Upwork become very greedy, 20% fee was not enought to them, and now they are figure out that they can get a profit from this feature... 

So I am stay against this feature. If they are would not make it back, I just would stop bidding for any jobs... I can allow this to myself, because I have accouts on different services.

Vitaliy, it seems very unlikely that Upwork completely revised the way it shows freelancers in search in order to get its hands on your ten dollars. 

When clients search and find a bunch of inactive profiles, it hurts everyone--those clients are less likely to hire on Upwork. So, the default has become not to show inactive profiles.

Of course, in addition to the hundreds of thousands of people with Upwork profiles who never actually do any work here, there will be some freelancers who show a false positive for inactivity due to the criteria. Maybe those freelancers bid regularly but haven't landed a job lately, or have been engaged in a long project that will pay at the end, or are just returning after some time away from Upwork.

Upwork allows two ways for those freelancers to signal Upwork and clients that they are actually active and seeking work: paying for Plus (because who would keep paying if they weren't actually available for work here?) or logging in regularly and switching their profiles back to visible.